reconfig glib? wha? *brain explodes*

meekerthanthou

hello all,

I'm trying to compile the bittorrent client, and I read that I needed wxpython, and as I was perusing the python site, I decided that I should get the newest gtk and glib. I went to the site and downloaded the source, and was able to install glib fin, but then I went to install gtk and it turned up this error when I ran ./configure:

checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib-config

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8...

*** 'glib-config --version' returned 1.2.9, but GLIB (1.2.10)

*** was found! If glib-config was correct, then it is best

*** to remove the old version of GLIB. You may also be able to fix the error

*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing

*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is

*** required on your system.

*** If glib-config was wrong, set the environment variable GLIB_CONFIG

*** to point to the correct copy of glib-config, and remove the file config.cache

*** before re-running configure

no

configure: error:

*** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB

*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

So my question is.. how do I remove my old glib? (it's the one that came with Mandrake 9.2)

I've heard you can't remove it, but just point gtk to the new version?

Thanks

Edited by meekerthanthou

I went to the site and downloaded the source, and was able to install glib

IMHO that was a bad idea, if you want the ultimate new version of something you should first look into cooker and install it from there, using rpm and satisfying all the possible dependences. IMHO you should go right now and install the cooker vesion, that will replace the old one and save you many head aches.

I went to the site and downloaded the source, and was able to install glib

IMHO that was a bad idea, if you want the ultimate new version of something you should first look into cooker and install it from there, using rpm and satisfying all the possible dependences. IMHO you should go right now and install the cooker vesion, that will replace the old one and save you many head aches.

I second that

How I would have done is to download the glib rpm from cooker; once the rpm is at home I will atempt to install it and see which dependences require, then I will sistematically download and try to install the downloaded rpms (you can make a script to automate this).You may reach a point where you know that the dependences aren't critical. At this point you can force the installation safely. This way you'll have a stable system w/o upgrading to 10.0 (or almost)

Others might suggest to use urpmi which will automate all the process but by sure it also has the risk of suffering a huge and maybe not desirable upgrade.