Network Blues

nodeg

I just installed Mandrake 9.2 on my comp, but can't connect to the internet. The fact that Mandrake can see my network port, but refuses to use it leads me to believe that it's a problem with the nforce drivers. I already tried installing the nvidia default nforce drivers for linux, but to no effect.

Can someone tell me where to go to get effective drivers for 9.2? Thanks in advance.

Nvidia makes drivers for their stuff that generally work well after some initial set-up. Would you offer more detail about what you have done?

It does sound like a driver problem, and the nforce chipset can be a little baffling.

Hello,

Sounds like a problem that has been discussed here before. Anyway here's what to do:

open a terminal and type, just to identify your kernel:

uname -r

this will give something like:

2.4.22-....mdk

Go to the mirror where you downloaded your iso's and download the matching kernel-source, be sure to find a matching one, else it won't work!

Go to the dir where you saved the kernel-source, become su and type:

urpmi kernel-source2.4.22-...mdk

after this you have to download the nVidia source driver at this link:

click me, click me

still in the terminal (as su) type:

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce1.0-0261.src.rpm

a lot of info will pass your screen, just look for a line like:

wrote /usr/.....

go to this dir where you will find your new compiled nForce-driver

type:

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_nforce......rpm

When finished go into Mandrake Control Center and bring up you network!

Good luck.

Otherwise, if you have been planning to move up to the 2.6 kernel stock, this would be a good time to do it.

The 2.6 vanilla kernels have excellent support for the nforce sets, when compiled directly into the kernel.

There seems to be a phobia amongst Mandrake users when it comes to vanilla source and kernel compilation in general, but it is really not difficult and extremely safe (your old kernel is still there to be booted into).

Edited by SoulSe

What are the 2.6 vanilla kernels, are they different than the 2.6.3-1mdk I'm using now?

The vanilla source is the original, stable kernel source from www.kernel.org

The source you are using now is the Mandrake source (they add their own patches and modifications). There is nothing wrong with Mandrake's version of the source, some of their additions and changes are awesome. But vanilla source is raw linux and sometimes the hardware support will be better.

Ok, thxs....

Now that I've got my system working with the 2.6.3 mandrakekernel it might be a new challenge to compile a vanilla-kernel for my system. I've heard that when you compile your own kernel you gain a lot in terms of speed etc.

:jester:

If you have some usefull links, I'd apreciate it.

And we are still waiting for nodeg so that we might help solve his problem! Guys, please do not hi-jack threads in the help sections. Thanks.

And we are still waiting for nodeg so that we might help solve his problem! Guys, please do not hi-jack threads in the help sections. Thanks.

hmmm.... it all seemed pretty relevant to me. Oh well, sorry if it wasn't I guess.

:cheesy: