update mozilla

Urza9814

How do you update Mozilla? I went to mozilla.org, DLed the newest version, it installed perfectly, after which it ran...and it ran fine...I couldn't change the skin, which is the main reason I updated, but I figured I've never done that before, maybe I just have to restart mozilla for it to take effect. Problem is, when I run mozilla, it runs the old version :-S

I tried rebooting my comp too, figuring that might update the shortcuts or something...didnt' help...and I tried stuff like 'mozilla-1.6' in terminal...didn't work

OK, I'm assuming you installed it in the default directory which is /usr/local/mozilla so to run it you need to cd to this directory and then type ./mozilla in a terminal.

To make the new version of mozilla run from all your mozilla menu items then you need to link to the /usr/bin directory and replace the existing mozilla binary. Let's rename the old binary so its still there and you can run either version but the default is the new one. Run the following in a terminal

su
mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla-old
ln -s /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla

Now when you run mozilla from a terminal or click on a mozilla icon you should launch your new version.

Yeah, when you update Mozilla using the file from the mozilla.org website, it does not actually update the version of mozilla installed with Mandrake. Instead, it installs a new, more recent version of Mozilla. This can have its advantages and its disadvantages, it all depends on how integrated you want Mozilla to be.

Personally, I have never really had a problem with this, but that is just me.

Follow the steps in the post above to point everything to the new install.