e-mail settings and stuff

Urza9814

Is there any way to export all the emails and address book and stuff from M$ Outlook Express to Evolution (specifically...but any client will be ok if you can't on that).

I'm trying to get my mom to use linux, 'cause all she does is email and net, but it's really annoying for me with her constant booting to windoze...and IE doesn't work for some reason, so she's yelling at me to fix that (I have her using Mozilla Firebird, but links still try to open in IE)...I DON'T want to have to FWD all this stuff again...we had to do that once before...it's not fun...she has a few hundred emails...but yea...I suppose not getting the E-mail is ok...she'll just have to use both if she needs to...though she'll probably stick with windoze if I can't do that...but the address book is the big thing...

I'm goon have a linux family soon...showing my mom the awesome-ness of it with email...just showed my brother the awesome-ness of it's games :-P

BTW [OT] - for those of you that have seen my many complaints about my comp...I finally ordered 256MB RAM!!! and only $35, compatibility guaranteed, low density SDRAM...and if you've ever had to buy low density SDRAM, you know it's expensive stuff...

Hmm.. you know what.. I actually haven't tried migrating from OE to Evolution yet.. but I think you can use Mozilla's email client as a "go between" apps for this kind of thing. First make OE your default email app, then run mozilla email and start importing your email and address book. Finally boot to linux, run evolution and import the emails from the windows mozilla email directory.

For address book, use mozilla email to import your address book, the export it as ldif. Evolution can import ldif easily.

Good luck.

The above works, but if you have access to an imap server then it might be easier to use that. If you create an imap email account in Outlook Express you can then copy all your old emails and folders to that account. Then open it up in what ever email client you need and there's all your emails. If you have to use another server to get the email then you could copy all the emails to that account when you create it in evolution or whatever or but this is kind of loosing the simplicity thing, you can install an imap server and download all your email to it using fetchmail, although this has complication issues if your using dialup.

don't really understand that...I think I'll just use Dragonmage's idea...but first I have to:

a ) get the full mozilla for windoze...I only have firebird...I don't believe that has email

b ) get a response on the M$ forums...I get an MAPI error when I try to export the messages...and they don't say how to fix it on OE 6

Edited by Urza9814