gaim/sound problem

Guest Mage9285

Guest Mage9285

Hello, I just did a fresh install of Mandrake on my laptop and ran updates on it, and I am having a very strange problem that I haven't encountered on other distros before. I use XMMS to play mp3s, as I use Gaim to chat online. When I get an instant message while playing music, the usual gaim chime noise will not sound on top of the music (which I am accustomed to). Instead, no chime will play, but after I stop my music (or sometimes it will be a game or other application that does continuous sound) The chimes will start, and it will be as many chimes as there were sound events while the music was playing. Under Gaim's sound method I currently have automatic selected, other options include Console Beep, Arts, ESD, NAS and Command. None of these other options work, the only way I get sound is if this is set to automatic. I have ALSA installed, but its not listed as an option. Does anyone know how to get sound working normally so that I can hear the chimes on top of the music? Or if not that, just not have the sounds queue up behind the music so that I don't get barraged when the music ends? Thanks