upgrading kernel

Michel

Heya,

this post is related to my asus-usb-modem-post. I read that there are a lot of problems getting it to work with mandrake 9.2 with the default 2.4.22-kernel. It seems to work with mandrake 9.1, but I don't want to downgrade ... and download and burn another 3 iso's ....

Now, I would like to upgrade the kernel and see if it helps (hopefully!!!), but I am not connected to an rpm-repository .....have no internet. So, just to be sure. When I download a new kernel from a download site and install it. Will it give me extra dependencies (I won't download a 2.6.x kernel. It will be a 2.4.x) ? Anyone experience with this ?

Thanks.

Marcelo kernel is the plain vanilla 2.4 kernel, without mandrake patches. The chance of your usb modem to work in marcelo kernel is actually less than mandrake's regular kernel.

Anyway, if you want to check whether it works in mandrake 9.1, why don't you just download the mandrake 9.1 src.rpm kernel (not the kernel-source) and then rebuild the src.rpm kernel then install it? Although I kinda doubt it works in 9.1