iBook G4 installation problem

tekwerx

:wall:

Ok, I have installed different flavors of Linux on PC's a few times, enough to kind of know what I'm doing (still pretty much a newbie, in other words). Recently though, I switched to Macs foor the power...ok, and the looks. B)

Anyhow, I wanted to install Mandrake 9.1 PPC on my old Beige G3, except I find out its too old. So I go out and buy a new iBook G4 933, except to find out its too new, and Mandrake doesnt know the vidcard, I believe. Ive tried all the different options I can think of for the installer, only to get garbled junk when the GUI comes up.

I was wondering if anyone had found a fix for this that I dont know of, or if I'm just gonna have to be patient for a few more months when updated versions start getting released. Thanks in advance!

:thumbs:

No particular point, its the whole install. X is completely jumbled up when the GUI installer comes up. Ive done a lot of searching, and found that theres no "good" drivers for the ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 in the G4 iBook yet. No workarounds yet either. Since PPC flavors are on the back burners, I dont think that there will be any for a little while. Eh, well. I'll just just have to find an old PC and use it I guess.