Mandrake 9.2 reboots on shutdown

Mang

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

Can anybody offer me any advice or point me in the direction of some reading matter?

I am a noobie to Linux and have learnt the basic shell commands.

I had this problem with 9.1 as well, I have noticed that it happens more frequently when i have been on the web, I use Mozilla as my web browser. I am currently using the 9.2 download version and I shutdown through the GUI, loggingout first

I originally posted this thread on a different forum and they kindly pointed me to this forum, so you could hopefully shead some light on the situation.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Thanks in advance, Mang.

Welcome!

So, you logout to a display manager's gui>choose Shutdown/Halt (or whatever) and it reboots?

What else have you tried?

Open a terminal>su to root>type;

shutdown -h now

and hit Enter

If that doesn't work...Logout>Ctrl+Alt+F2>login as root>type;

service dm stop

and press Enter. then Ctrl+Alt+F2>type;

shutdown -h now

and hit Enter

work?

[EDIT]

Then do the same for your user. Work?

Edited by bvc

My guess: you haven't shut down your computer for real in a while, meaning: really pulled the plug.

Some bioses do this sometimes, usually after having been connected to the mains power for some time.

Just shut down, if it boots again, go into the bios, or use the arrow keys when you're in the lilo or grub (or whatever) boot menu -- then just switch of the pc with the switch at the back, or pull the power cable.

BTW all at your own risk, although I don't think this can harm the machine (they would have piles of broken pc's in California if they died from power failure.... )

Thanks for the replies.

bvc, before reading your post i had tried "poweroff" in the terminal to no avail.

since then i have tried what both you and aRTee have suggested and still no joy ( it worked initially but after spending some time on the net same problem),

can you suggest anything else?

thanks Mang

Are you using apci, apm, or both? Look in mcc>System>DrakXServices (or Services or some type).

I cn use eithre/or or both and shutdown. Some systems can with both or will shutdown with just apm or acpi. if your sys is fairly new using just acpi should do the trick. I use acpi only and uninstall apmd. Packages are

apmd

acpi

acpid

For acpi the bootloader must tell the kernel to use it

acpi=on

acpi=off

acpi=ht

on and off are self explainitory but ht basically means acpi will only be used at boot/shutdown and not for any other power management functions (if I understand that rt).

bootloader entry (grub)

title SuSE9Pro
   kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb9 vga=normal splash=quiet desktop hdd=ide-scsi hddlun=0 showopts acpi=on
   initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd

Lilo has an

append=

line to add it to....

append=acpi=on