nforce2 drivers

mdg

I'm running the 2.6.2-1mdk kernel and I've installed kernel-source-2.6.2-1mdk. Downloaded the 261 src.rpm from nvidia's site and installed with "rpm --rebuild".

It aborts with errors (not the "buildmeister" errors)

I've tried the 248 src.rpm and the 261 tar.gz. Here's the output from the tar.gz attempt:

[root:nforce]# make
make -C  nvnet
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/marc/nforce/nvnet'
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM  -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include   nvnet.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:20,
                from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
                from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
                from nvnet.h:30,
                from nvnet.c:21:
/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:72,
                from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: error: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undeclared here (not in a function)
/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:31: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_open':
nvnet.c:735: warning: passing arg 2 of `request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_remove':
nvnet.c:1248: error: structure has no member named `driver_data'
make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marc/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2

I don't know how to decipher this, other than seeing there is a missing file (irq.h)

BTW, I tried this on a fresh 9.2 install on a different partition, with the 2.4.22 kernel and matching kernel-sources, also aborted with similar errors.

I need it mainly to get the onboard LAN working. Harddrake recognizes the chip as ‎nForce2 MCP Networking Adapter but it won't work without the "nvnet" driver/module.

Mboard is Epox 8rda3I

Anyone have this working?

The kernel I'm running right now is a standard installed .rpm (not compiled by me), but I have compiled a 262 kernel and tried to install the nforce src.rpm against that. No go.

the new 2.6 kernels actually have a working nforce driver included with them.

Do you know the name of the driver? I didn't notice anything I could use while compiling the kernel

when you do the make menuconfig step, it'll be somewhere in

device drivers > Networking Support > Ethernet (10 or 100 Mbit)

then include "Reverse engineered nforce ethernet support (EXPERIMENTAL)"

don't let the EXPERIMENTAL put you off ;-)

good luck!

I don't know how to decipher this, other than seeing there is a missing file (irq.h)

if it's already included, why compile for it?

when a file is missing use urpmf <filename> to find out what pkg it's in and install that pkg. If the pkg is installed then either your devel $ENVIRONMENT is not rt or there's a version problem.

I am on debian but I chroot to ml...these are only a few results....there are many more.

debian:/# urpmf irq.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/irq.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/linux/irq.h

debian:/# urpmf irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-um/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-um/irq_vectors.h

I'm running the 2.6.2-1mdk kernel and I've installed kernel-source-2.6.2-1mdk. Downloaded the 261 src.rpm from nvidia's site and installed with "rpm --rebuild".

It aborts with errors (not the "buildmeister" errors)

I've tried the 248 src.rpm and the 261 tar.gz. Here's the output from the tar.gz attempt:

<!--QuoteEBegin-->[root:nforce]# make<!--QuoteEBegin-->make -C  nvnet<!--QuoteEBegin-->make[1]: Entering directory `/home/marc/nforce/nvnet'<!--QuoteEBegin-->cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM  -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include   nvnet.c<!--QuoteEBegin-->In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:20,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.h:30,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.c:21:<!--QuoteEBegin-->/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory<!--QuoteEBegin-->In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.h:30,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.c:21:<!--QuoteEBegin-->/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)<!--QuoteEBegin-->In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/irq.h:72,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from /lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.h:30,<!--QuoteEBegin-->                 from nvnet.c:21:<!--QuoteEBegin-->/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: error: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undeclared here (not in a function)<!--QuoteEBegin-->/lib/modules/2.6.2-1mdk/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:31: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)<!--QuoteEBegin-->nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_open':<!--QuoteEBegin-->nvnet.c:735: warning: passing arg 2 of `request_irq' from incompatible pointer type<!--QuoteEBegin-->nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_remove':<!--QuoteEBegin-->nvnet.c:1248: error: structure has no member named `driver_data'<!--QuoteEBegin-->make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1<!--QuoteEBegin-->make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marc/nforce/nvnet'<!--QuoteEBegin-->make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2<!--QuoteEBegin-->

BTW, I tried this on a fresh 9.2 install on a different partition, with the 2.4.22 kernel and matching kernel-sources, also aborted with similar errors.

I need it mainly to get the onboard LAN working. Harddrake recognizes the chip as ‎nForce2 MCP Networking Adapter but it won't work without the "nvnet" driver/module.

Mboard is Epox 8rda3I

Anyone have this working?

I got the EXACT same error, so I'm in the same boat as you.

I did "urpmf irq.h" and the results only pertain to the 2.4.22 kernel

[root:marc]# urpmf irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/drivers/net/sk98lin/h/skgesirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-alpha/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-alpha/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-alpha/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-alpha/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-i386/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-i386/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-i386/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-i386/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ia64/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ia64/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ia64/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ia64/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-m68k/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-m68k/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-m68k/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-m68k/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ppc/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ppc/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ppc/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-ppc/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-x86_64/hardirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-x86_64/hw_irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-x86_64/irq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/asm-x86_64/softirq.h
kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-21mdk/include/linux/irq.h

Does that mean the nforce.src.rpm/tar.gz only works on 2.4 kernels?

Anyway, I'm going to look through my 2.6.2 kernel and see where I can enable the module, as it's apparently included.

I have also tried "modprobe nvnet" and got "module not found", so either it's not enabled or it's compiled into the kernel

when a file is missing use urpmf <filename> to find out what pkg it's in and install that pkg. If the pkg is installed then either your devel $ENVIRONMENT is not rt or there's a version problem.

I am on debian but I chroot to ml...these are only a few results....there are many more.

debian:/# urpmf irq.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/irq.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/linux/irq.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

glibc-devel:/usr/include/asm/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-um/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-default/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-pc9800/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-visws/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-i386/mach-voyager/irq_vectors.h

kernel-source-stripped:/usr/src/linux-2.6.2-3mdk/include/asm-um/irq_vectors.h

you need

glibc-devel

and

kernel-source

for your running kernel.

Edited by bvc

I have glibc-devel-2.3.2-14mdk installed and 2.6.2-1mdk kernel running with kernel-source-2.6.2-1mdk installed

[root:marc]# rpm -q glibc-devel
glibc-devel-2.3.2-14mdk

[root:marc]# uname -r
2.6.2-1mdk

[root:marc]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.4.22.6mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-doc-2.4.22-5mdk
kernel-2.6.0.1mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-2.6.2.1mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.6.2-1mdk

nforce.src.rpm still won't work

I installed glibc-devel-2.3.3-10mdk plus other dependencies.

If I look at bvc's output of urpmf irq.h, I can find all those files in the right places on my box, but if I do "urpmf irq.h" (or any other disputed file), I get no output.

Are these files somehow not in the path?

My whole point here is to get the onboard LAN to work, but it seems a lot simpler to me to just install a NIC and be done with it :angry: