NIC or switch

mdg

I'm completely new to networking, so any answers in simple terms please.

I have two computers I want to network together for internet sharing and file sharing. The first machine has Mdk 9.2 and is connected via cable modem to the internet (DHCP)

Second machine has Win98, no internet connection, but has a NIC installed

The questions:

If I buy a 10/100 switch/hub (not sure what the difference is) would I need to install another NIC in the Mdk machine?

Or could I use the switch as the central part, ie. modem connects to switch, switch connects out to two machines respectively.

Just seems to me there's no real point in buying a switch if I need two NIC's in my main machine. I would just use the second NIC to connect to the Win NIC

I guess the main question is: buy a switch or buy another NIC?

Buy a router. You can connect that router to the cable modem then to the 2 computers. A basic router here is about US$60.

You don't need to buy another NIC, but NICs are cheaper than routers. But with a router at least both computers can connect to the internet independently. If it's just for file sharing, go for the extra NIC and crossed cable. You can still share the internet using the first machine as a gateway.

Switch vs. hub: switch is faster, their operation is quite different, you can look it up at Google. Routers are altogether different.

I don't blame you, routers, switches and hubs look the same to me too. :wall: Just look at the box's fine print to distinguish them.

Edited by arthur

You would actually need both. A second NIC in the Mandrake box and a switch to connect the Mandrake and Win98 boxes to.

Then enable Connection sharing in the mandrake box and away you go.

Do not buy a hub, get a switch. The best analogy I have found to describe the difference is a garden hose. Where you have Ts stretching hoses all across the yard, as you add another sprinkler, the pressure at each of the others drops. This is similar to a hub. On the other hand a switch has its own little "pump" at each T to provide full pressure (data flow) to each sprinkler (computer or device). Alos, hubs usually do not allow for full duplex data flow, maning that if data is going to a device, any data coming from the device has to wait until there is an opening in the incoming data to send it. A switch can send and receive simultaniously.

EDITED after seeing arthur's post.

Absolutely correct, a commercially available router is a much simpler solution. and you would not need to add the second nic to the Mandrake box. Just follow the simple instructions included and you will be off and running.

Most of the routers have switches built in.

Good Luck,

RED

Edited by red