Newbie profile question

I was remotely connected to my PC at home the other day when I finally figured out how to set up aliases and stuff in my user profile...it's in .bash_profile.

But when I got home and logged in, none of the aliases I had set in .bash_profile worked (although they still work when I connect remotely).

So what's the deal? I have a different profile when I ssh than when I sit down at my computer and log on directly?

...when I finally figured out how to set up aliases and stuff in my user profile...it's in .bash_profile.

You are wrong my friend, aliases and stuff should go into .bashrc, not inside .bash_profile

Why? well, you'd better read this: http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_63.html

The 'problem' you are getting is because you wrongly placed your aliases into .bash_profile, which is only read when launching a login shell, and because *I'm sure* you are using KDE on runlevel 5, aren't you?

In the proccess of launching KDE from some versions till now there is no 'login shell' step, so never .bash_profile gets sourced.

When you login remotely you are launching a *login shell*, that's why the aliases are present then.

on .bash_profile you should only put environment variables and a .bashrc call. The file .bashrc is there to handle all the interactive settings: aliases, prompt, functions, non global variables, and so on.