Slow Internet

ac_dispatcher

I have a adsl that has been working great for about 3 years now. 2 of which I have had my coyote linux router/firewall working. About 1 month ago I was downloading around 120k a second. My uptime is about 36 days and at best I now get 40k a second.

I disconnected all phone lines and ran a direct line from my adsl to to box outside my house. - 40k a second.

When I called up Ameritech once they heard "Linux" that became my problem. I was pi$$ed. So I ripped the router appart and connected it to my WinXP box - 40k a second.

Called back. now it was my home phone lines. I advised them that I was connected to the box outside my house. She advised that my line to the box that I ran was bad (brand new line).

Any ideas? or anything else I could check to see if its on my end?

Maybe a worm or internet virus slowing down my ISP??

I hate it when you call up a customer service and they find out your on Linux and treat you like dirt.

EMI can screw up adsl. If the construction crew across the street starts using arc torches, I lose the adsl signal, and before it goes, internet becomes very, very slow.

But maybe because I'm quite near the edge of the telco's adsl service area. I tried to put some metal between the street and my line but the construction stopped so I don't know if it would solve things.

>>>>PROBLEM SOLVED<<<<

Ok thought id write back with the great outcome I had.

I kept calling and finally got an extension for a guy at the phone company switching station. He used SUSE 9.0 :D So I told him my problem. I said for about 2 1/2 years I was downloading at about 80k a second with DSL. He said "thats it?". Then I said I couldn't break the 45k mark currently.

He "adjusted" my band with limit at the station :thumbs: but that only got me to 65k download speed. He said the diagnostic show my phone quality at bad.

From his advise I installed brand new CAT3 telephone line so that the DSL was the only line hooked up in the house.

I got 145k download speeds. :lol:

So then he "tuned" my connected testing each time until I finally got 170k Download speeds from my DSL. In the end I doubled my connecting speed.

Again from his advise I would connect one more room's phone line and run a test. At a certain line (living room) it dropped to 40k. I found the bad line. In the end my line from my outside box to the inside "box" was bad and my living room line was bad. When both were replaced I was at 107k

My advice to all DSL users if you have the time: Run a new line (CAT3) from your box. Attach the dsl only and run a line test (www.dslreports.com), then start attaching one line at a time. Worked for me :thumbs:

My advice to all DSL users if you have the time: Run a new line (CAT3) from your box. Attach the dsl only and run a line test (www.dslreports.com), then start attaching one line at a time.

although the phone company likes to make DSL installation sound easy, you're likely to get bad results if you follow their "easy installation" recommendations.

most self-install kits include nothing more than a Y-adapter and a bunch of bandpass filters. the phone company tells you to plug a "filter" into each outlet that has a phone connected, and plug the phone into the filter. the net result is that the phone company's filter removes DSL-induced "static" from your voice line. it does nothing to help your DSL connection. in fact, a bunch of filters can acutally degrade your DSL performance.

the problem arises in how the DSL and voice signals are separated on your phone line. the multiple filter method, although easy to implement, is a bad way to do things. a little background information will be helpful.

DSL transmits at barely "ultrasonic" frequencies on your phone line, somewhwere around 25 KHz. typical voice data is below 5KHz. if you use a DSL modem on a voice line withouit some method of filtration, you'll hear some degree of "static" interference from the DSL modem. the cure to this problem is to put a low frequency bandpass filter on the voice segment of the line so that high frequencies (above 5kHz) are attenuated at 12 dB/octave. the low-pass filters are actually pretty simple to make (and cheap to buy), as they only have a few resistors/inductors/caps inside of them.

the problem is that if you put filters on multiple segments of the house's phone line, you're going to end up adding capacitance to the line in proportion to the number of filters you add, and this will decrease your DSL throughput.

the solution to this problem in the telco parlance is called a "Home Run." A home run involves putting a splitter at the service panel that includes the bandpass filters, and then running separate lines into the home, one set of lines exclusively for voice, the other exclusively for data.

my telco told me that splitter installation at the box would cost $130. instead, i just cut the line inside of the house, and wired up my own splitter using one of the free DSL filters that were provided with my modem. voila! 161 kbps!

hth!