Mandrake on a Disk on Chip?

Guest Greg Jahnke

Guest Greg Jahnke

I have an older sytem with a Disk on Chip 16meg. Realistically, can you cut mandrake down that small, still use the x server and a desktop manager? All I really need to have is acrobat reader, XMMS (or another media player, don't really care) and in image viewer. The unit I am installling on has a hard drive, but it is a an old pentium 233 system and it bots and runs quite a bit faster when using the disk on chip. Currently, it has windows XP embedded, but I would like to move it over to linux. I know you can create a modified kernel and go that route, just wondered if I went through the install and cut the packages WAY down if maybe at least the kernel, xfree and maybe the xfree package would fit.

Also, a little off topic, can you use super mount for hard drives?

On the supermount: Theoretically you should be able to use supermount for hard drives by specyfying it in your fstab file (/etc/fstab), but why would you want to? Supermount is intended for drives with removeable media so that you don't have to re-mount every time the media changes?

Are you going to be useing removeable hard drives? just curious....

As soon as I get back to my computer I will check how big a minimal install of Mandrake 9 with XFree is and post it.... but I think 16MB won't cut it.

Have you considered bootable-disc distributions of Linux (like BBC or LOAF?) you might be able to move one of them into your 16MB as they have already been hectically scaled down... or use them to boot into Linux from a CD-Rom drive. Check out www.linux.org for a list of distributions, the best bet with Linux is to find a distribution that does what you need it to instead of scaling down another distro...

Here's a link discussing several small linux distros:

http://www.linuxdot.org/cgi-bin/columns.cgi?id=23

I can't imagine getting X running on 16 megs but I guess anything is possible. I think you will have better luck trying to pare down a mini distro however.

Also, on the bootable CD distros, you might want to give Knoppix a try.

Guest Greg Jahnke

Yes, I am using removable hard drives. I really like mandrake as a distro and I guess what I was asking is if I could set the root partition to the disk on chip, then set /usr and /home to the hard drive. The root partition is also the boot partition, right?