MythTV, lirc remote and PVR250/350

mikeoneil

Hi,

I had MythTV working very well except for the remote control on the following setup:

Mandrake9.2, MythTV 0.14 (Thacs rpms), Hauppauge PVR350 video capture(ivtv), nforce2 MB.

To get the remote working I removed everything I could fine related to lirc, then recompiled lirc0.7.0pre2. The remote control works fine using irw, but now mythfrontend & mythbacked will not start.

The error is unable to find file liblirc_client.o.0

Now, I do remember deleting this before but can't remember where from! The new version of lirc has created this file, but where should I put it so that mythtv can find it?

If anyone has a similar setup to me, could you tell me where the file liblirc_client.o.0 should be located?

Thanks.

I don't have a similar setup, but you could try:

/lib/

/usr/lib/

BTW, why would you not use the mandrake lirc stuff, it works fine.

I have a hauppauge wintvfm and it was a snap to get going with the remote from hauppauge (which is the same that you have I think).

I put the setup on my website, configuration page.

Sorry i can't help about your lirc problem.

I've been trying to install mythtv from plf, and i got kind of the same error as yours : a missing lib finishing with a capital O. i thought all libs were ending with a little o...

I'm planning in building the same box has yours. May i ask some questions ?

1- is your radio tunner on the hauppauge working ?

2- what processor power would you recommend for a dedicated system ?

V

I don't have a similar setup, but you could try:

/lib/

/usr/lib/

BTW, why would you not use the mandrake lirc stuff, it works fine.

I'll try those locations this evening, thanks. I changed lirc because version 0.6.6 that comes with Mandrake 9.2 does not work with Myth0.14. I tried initially and after reading posts on the mythtv mailing list found I should install lirc 0.7.0. I think it is something to do with i2c? lirc 0.6.6 worked fine in reading the remote but not in passing those commands to mythtv (native lirc support). Perhaps it is specific to the tv card?

I'm planning in building the same box has yours. May i ask some questions ?

1- is your radio tunner on the hauppauge working ?

2- what processor power would you recommend for a dedicated system ?

V

If you use a PVR250 then mpeg encoding is done in hardware and uses virtually no CPU. If you go for the PVR 350 then you can direct the mythTv output to the onboard mpeg decoder and video out. The required ivtv drivers are now very good. The result is amazing quality with virtually no CPU load for recording and viewing at the same time! I think you can get by with a modest CPU in this case. Otherwise, I think anything over 2GHz should be fine. I have a 2.4GHz athlon.

As for the radio tuner, I have not tried that. I only have the composite video and line audio connected.

If anyone has more clues about the liblirc_client.o.0 file please reply! With all this wonderful hardware all I have at the moment is an error message in a terminal window!