ML9 vs RH8

Shielder

Okay, just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons...

Which is the better distro to use for "number crunching"? I'm trying to set up a cluster of old PII Comcraps at work, and I have a choice of distros, ML9.0 (my preferred choice, even if I can't get it to install at home! :( ), RH8.0 (never used, but our clients are looking at it) and Debian 3.0.

Has anyone got any ideas on which would be the better distro for a cluster?

Thanks in advance (please don't flame me :oops: )

Andy

Hmm, no idea, but off the top of my head i'd say Mandrake. Redhat is known for tweaking their kernels, and many application specific problems are attributed to this "speacial featured" Redat kernels...

It is a paradox though, because Mandrake should be the "tweaked" one, since it is a Redhat based distro, and therefore it should include even more tweaks than the standard Redhat kernel.

You can bypass kernel problems by compiling a stock kernel in any distro, though :)

From mdk home page:

October 29th, 2002 - "CLIC" Clustering Distribution launched! - MandrakeSoft and partners have launched the first version of the CLIC Linux distribution: an easy-to-deploy and easy-to-use Clustering solution. All details are available in the Press-Release. Users can download the ISO image and test the product at: clic.mandrakesoft.com.