First time user - q's regarding some hardware

raystorm

Hello folks, I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 and just experienced Linux for the first time. I'm terribly unfamiliar with the commandline user interface, but will do my best to learn it well. I have a few questions regarding my hardware now that the OS is installed.

My video card is the Radeon 9800np and unfortunately I couldn't get into KDE (haven't seen GNOME yet) unless I choose the basic VESA driver under the X86Free4 menu in the config. But now that I am in the GUI with the VESA driver would I be able to install the Linux drivers ATI posted a couple months ago without an issue? I have no clue how to install stuff... but I'll learn it soon enough :D , but is it worth using the latest ATI Linux drivers without having issues getting into the GUI?

I am using a Santa Cruz as my sound card and the hardware config recognizes it as a Cirrus Logic card, which I guess is correct since the Santa Cruz uses the CL chip on the card. Now.. I do have sound (I tried out some audio cd's to check), but the sound is REALLY low. I did raise the volume in the audio program I used (think I used that totem media player), but it really doesnt help much. Anyone who uses a Santa Cruz have this volume issue as well?? Any other way to increase the volume??

One last thing... I am using a crappy winmodem that I had for years and I understand that it wont work under Linux. My friend will give me an extra modem ( a good one.. not a crappy winmodem! :lol: ) and will install it whenever I receive it.. .but what about installation?? Will Mandrake 9.2 recognize it immediately?? Do I use that Mandrake control panel thing to detect it?

Thank you to all who can offer help/suggestions. I really appreciate it! :thumbs:

Now its time to read up on commandlines!!!

My video card is the Radeon 9800np and unfortunately I couldn't get into KDE (haven't seen GNOME yet) unless I choose the basic VESA driver under the X86Free4 menu in the config. But now that I am in the GUI with the VESA driver would I be able to install the Linux drivers ATI posted a couple months ago without an issue? I have no clue how to install stuff... but I'll learn it soon enough  , but is it worth using the latest ATI Linux drivers without having issues getting into the GUI?

You don't need a GUI to install the ATI drivers. Infact, you even should kill any running X-Servers before you do so.

Download the RPM from ATI's website (make sure it's the right one), install it via

rpm -i --force filename.rpm

then follow the instructions. If you want 3D support in X, you'll also need to install the kernel sources which however are not on the CD - get them off a mirror or the Mandrake server. If you don't want any 3D support, the kernel module does not need to be built and all you need to do is follow the instructions minus the kernel module part.

I am using a Santa Cruz as my sound card and the hardware config recognizes it as a Cirrus Logic card, which I guess is correct since the Santa Cruz uses the CL chip on the card. Now.. I do have sound (I tried out some audio cd's to check), but the sound is REALLY low. I did raise the volume in the audio program I used (think I used that totem media player), but it really doesnt help much. Anyone who uses a Santa Cruz have this volume issue as well?? Any other way to increase the volume??

You need to run either kmix (the KDE mixer) or alsamixer (in a terminal window).

You will need to turn up PCM and Main volume. I generally leave all the volume controls except main at 90% and adjust main.

For the modem, plug it in, then run the Mandrake Network and Internet Wizard. Select modem, and you will need to know what modem port its on. If you dont know, just try em all.