Using konstruct to upgrade KDE to 3.1.5

RainierPeak

Hi!

I'm using konstruct to upgrade to KDE 3.1.5 (I figure I'll wait a while before upgrading to the newly minted 3.2). Unfortunately, I've run into a snag. So, two questions:

1) Is using konstruct a good way to get the new version of KDE on Mandrake 9.2 in the first place without messing 'drake's view of things up?

2) Given the compilation errors below, what's going wrong? Do I need another dependency, or a newer version of something (I just downloaded the version of the cdparanoia library from urpmi; do I need CVS?), or am I just doing something wrong? Here is the end of the compilation log (from 'make install'):

make[5]: Entering directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5/kaudiocreator'

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++ -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -I/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/include -I/usr/lib/qt3//include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -I/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/include -I/usr/lib/qt3//include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -O2 -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -L/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -L/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -o kaudiocreator -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -R /home/rainierpeak/build/kde3.1.5/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o -lkio

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x72bf): In function `my_last_sector(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_track_lastsector'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x8056): In function `CdConfigImp::initRequest(KURL const&)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_open'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x88b3): In function `CdConfigImp::get_discid(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_disc_firstsector'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x890d): In function `CdConfigImp::get_discid(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_track_firstsector'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x899b): In function `CdConfigImp::updateCD(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_tracks'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x8a8e): In function `CdConfigImp::updateCD(cdrom_drive*)':

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x8ae5): In function `CdConfigImp::updateCD(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_track_audiop'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x8b4d): In function `CdConfigImp::updateCD(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_disc_firstsector'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x9071): In function `CdConfigImp::updateCD(cdrom_drive*)':

: undefined reference to `cdda_track_audiop'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x9209): In function `CdConfigImp::attemptToListAlbum()':

: undefined reference to `cdda_open'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x93e5): In function `CdConfigImp::attemptToListAlbum()':

: undefined reference to `cdda_track_lastsector'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x93f3): In function `CdConfigImp::attemptToListAlbum()':

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x94b3): In function `CdConfigImp::attemptToListAlbum()':

: undefined reference to `cdda_close'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x95fa): In function `CdConfigImp::pickDrive()':

: undefined reference to `cdda_find_a_cdrom'

kaudiocreator.all_cpp.o(.text+0x962a): In function `CdConfigImp::pickDrive()':

: undefined reference to `cdda_identify'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make[5]: *** [kaudiocreator] Error 1

make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5/kaudiocreator'

make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5/kaudiocreator'

make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5'

make[2]: *** [all] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5'

make[1]: *** [build-work/kdemultimedia-3.1.5/Makefile] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rainierpeak/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia'

make: *** [dep-../../kde/kdemultimedia] Error 2

[rainierpeak@localhost kde]#

Thanks a bundle for any help!

--Mike

Mandrake 9.2, Libranet 2.8, Win98SE, Win2K

According to the Konstruct page the latest stable version builds KDE 3.2 for you - maybe that's the problem?

There are notes in the README on how to run 2 KDEs side by side, so that your existing KDE isn't affected.

Trouble is, this involves booting into init level 3 , setting some environment variables , and doing a startx to launch KDE - not what i really want to do.

I've asked on another thread how to have 2 KDEs appear in the Mandrake login screen windowmanager drop down menu , so that you can pick KDE 3.2 the same way as you would select say Gnome or XFce.

Thanks for your suggestions, kde-head, but I don't think they really address the problem. AFAIK, all of the downloads completed before 3.2 went official, so it should really be 3.1.5; I could start over again and do 3.2 if it would help, though. (Although if I do that I hope that 3.2.0 is stable enough! I don't have that much disk space and plan to delete 3.1.3 when I know that the new version is working.)

Any talk of duel-booting and such is premature until it at least compiles!

--Mike

Mandrake 9.2, Libranet 2.8, Win98SE, Win2K

I had problems using konstruct to compile KDE. I don't know if they are the same problems but here's how I got mine to compile. Aparently there are two versions of autoconf and automake and Konstruct needs the one that is not installed by default, 1.7 I think. (Sorry, I'm having to do this by memory since I installed 10.0 Beta.) So load up rpm drake, do a search for autoconf (or automake if you can't find it) and install what comes up.

i couldn't get konstruct to compile 3.2, either. it stops pretty early telling me that it can't find the command "patch" (which seems like it should be pretty basic). i'll worry about it later, i guess, not going to fool with it right now.

edit: ok, nevermind. i'm a dork. after urpmi'ing patch, now konstruct is humming along again. maybe it'll work after all. :P

Edited by Peep