OpenOffice Writer crashes, won't save

Jiawen

OpenOffice.org Writer has recently started crashing when I try to save anything. Save As..., Save, Save to Template -- they all instantly crash the program. OpenOffice.org also automatically starts up every time I re-login to Gnome. I killed all the OpenOffice.org processes before restarting, so I don't know what's causing it to start up automatically and then crash whenever I try to save things.

I recently installed a new Chinese input system, SCIM. I also recently had to delete an overgrown .xsession-errors file (450MB and growing when I deleted it). I also have several core dump files (the ones with the little bomb icons, right?) in my /home/me file. Are those normal? I've been deleting them, since they're quite large -- 45 MB, oftentimes. Is that okay?

I'm using OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 under Mandrake 9.1 with Traditional Chinese/Taiwan locale on my 350 MHz/256 MB RAM system.

I can't think of what other information might be relevant. Are there any files I should be posting here to give further clues?

How do I get OO.o working normally again? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Jiawen,

I don't think Im going to be much help but I saw your name and the topic and figured it would be a localisation problem.

Im sorry I can't really help becuase all I can suggest is what you have already identified with the SCIM.... (in fact that was what I was going to ask!)

I'll email a friend who doesn't use Mandrake but does use OO in Mandarin and see if he's got an idea!!!

core files are safe to delete, indeed theyre pretty useless.

the size is an indication of what was running at the time since theyre just a dump of memory when the crash happened.

In my experience only very low level people like driver developers can actually make ANY sense of them, no mere mortal....

I once sent some from a Solaris box to sun (on an offical support contract and guess what - Sun had no idea what to do with em)