MySQL problems

I have installed MySQL and I have created a user and a database. I have granted this new user all priviliges to the new database.

Here is how I try to login:

mysql -u kristof -p
**password**
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'kristof@localhost' (Using password: YES)

If I don't use the -p parameter, I don't get the error and I can login. I am positive that I typed the correct password.

What could be wrong?

I decided to test MySQL with a small PHP file.

<?php
     $user="kristof";
     $password="***";
     $cnn = mysql_connect("localhost", $user, $password) or die ("Not connected");
?>

When I view that php file in my browser, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in /var/www/html/test.php on line 5

Do I have to modify my apache config?

Edited by Kristof

what version of mandrake are you running..

why not just use the webadmin page and set it up that way in the mysql database and users list..?

I'm a linux newbie; I did my first install a few weeks ago. I am using Mandrake 9.2. I had no idea there was something like webmin or webadmin. I just used the CLI, like I did in Windows, using the command prompt.

So I need to do urpmi php-mysql. And for the mod_php? Is that also something I need to install, or something I need to modify in a config file?

And what exactly is webmin?

I installed php-mysql en mod_php and everything is working fine now. I have deleted the user and have created it again and it works now. Thanks for the help!

I also gave webmin a try. Looks very nice!

php-mysql is the php module that contains the mysql functions mysql_query() etc.

mod_php is an apache module that allows your webserver to process .php scripts and serve them.

If you are only using php for command line scripts then mod_php is not needed.

grab a copy of phpMyAdmin as well. urpmi phpmyadmin should work. that gives you a nice web interface to your mysql install.

the MySQL Control Center is useful too -but use with caution. Any data changes are immediately implemented in your MySQL database. You dont get a submit button with MySQL CC - you are actually editing the live data.

May i ask a question..?

What does urpmi ***phpmyadmin***

*being the program *

what exactly does urpmi actually do and mean.. ?