Debian Gods........

FX

If I can nudge my way in with the rampant Suse posts I would like to ask a question. :jester:

I am trying to install Debian on a new Toshiba P15-S409. It has a Gforce4 5100 Go vid card. I cannot start X. Yes I have tried Mepis, Knoppix and had Fedora running just fine on it, but I cannot start X with Debian. Is there anyone that could possibly post their XF86Config that I can copy. The error I am getting is that it can see "screen" but there are no "modes" set and no correct configuration. Now I have tried copying my Fedora Config over, and somewhat tried to do that with Mepis and Knoppix, but they have such a wide range of listings in the Config I would either pull my hair out (I shave me head bald, so that would be pointless) trying to figure it out, or have to type the whole file in. I really don't wanna do that cause, well Im lazy. :P

So if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

FX

What Debian version are you using? If it's the stable version, then you wont have the latest video drivers. Try looking for .deb packages in the "unstable" tree - adjust your apt-get sources list accordingly.

remember that "stable" deb is rock-solid , with lots of security back-patches - but it's at the sacrifice at having the latest software versions.

Edited by kde-head

If ...trying to figure it out, or have to type the whole file in. I really don't wanna do that cause, well Im lazy....

I agree with kde-head, but mean while you can do few tests, ...and you DON'T have to type the whole file in, just copy it!!!!

For example, using knoppix:

• 1.- Boot your knoppix (it will be faster and easier if you boot into text mode, but is up to you)
    2.- Mount your harddisk root partition; ie, lets say that is hda5: 'mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5'
    3.- Make a backup of your XF86Config-4 file:
    cp /mnt/hda5/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda5/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
    4.- Copy knoppix's config file into debian:
    cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda5/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    5.- Reboot into debian to see if X11 is now working
    6.- Tune it (man X, man your_graphics_driver)

HTH