Please tell me the way for MY backup..

qeldroma

Hi folks,

i am not satisfied with drakbackup, because it is not good explained. I am not sure it's doing what i want.

All i want is a base-backup on CD('s), which is regulary updated.

The updates shall only include CHANGED files, not the ones that are the same.

The regular update-backup is on CD, too. But as far as i can see, theese backups will be very small, so i want to take one CD in Multisession for several backups.

I want to do this all via shell pure (ssh), so i think i'll have to take tar/zip/bz2??

But how do i make compressed (bz2/tgz/zip...) backups, that have exact 650MB for a CDR?

Isn't it a problem, that tar can't know, how much in size the result will be?

So how do i split the base backup on several CDR's safely? And then, how much backups can i shuffle on one CDR in Multisession?? Of course, this multisession MUST be save and stable.

-------------------------------------------------------

Second point: How do i restore specific directories from a whole bunch of .tgz? Isn't this VERY uncomfortable? Do i have to install EVERY update-backup since the base-backup for a fully qualified restore?

AFAIK there's no easy-2-use qt-/qtk-app, that can do this job for me with only some clicks. I can't understand this, because linux is mostly on servers and there you'll need backups, so where are the COMFORTABLE programs to do this??

If I understand you right, you want to do an incremental backup and dump it to the CDs.

1. Incremental backup using tar is easy. You can setup a script for that:

http://howtos.linux.com/guides/solrhe/Secu...p29sec306.shtml

You can even put it in cron, so that backup is done at a convenient for you time (say, when you're away from the computer).

2. Note that tarballs get big pretty quickly. So, if you wish to move backup files to CDs you have to split them into large chunks using split. To join the archive files together, copy chunks form the CDs to a directory on the HD and use cat to assemble them into one tarball. tar -xz tarboll.tgz file.ext extracts the file named file.ext from the archive.

Ok, but doesn't this mean, i'll have to concattenate ALL beackup-files before i can restore something?

Tar is very slow, if i am including compression. Then untaring sthg. is very time-intensive (point 2) isn't it?

partimage is good. ive used it. It took about half an hour to recover 5.5gb from an image, about an hour to make the image.

THis was on maximum compression, bzip2. It offers, gzip which is less and it also offers no compression.

Edited by iphitus