Booting up an old computer

Andrewski

I have an old computer on which I'm putting Mandrake 9.2 for a friend. I think it's a P233 with 128MB of RAM, etc. Question is: would it be worthwhile to install the 2.6 kernel? I hear everyone say it's "fast", but know not in what sense that is meant. She's pretty bright, but not well-versed in Linux (yet :twisted: ) so it would really only make a difference if apps start faster and such. Thoughts?

I might add, it only takes me 45 minutes to compile

wget http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/li...x-2.6.1.tar.bz2

tar -xvjf linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2

cd linux

make mrproper

make menuconfig

make

make modules install

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.1

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.1

Then make an initrd and add to lilo

Edited by iphitus

• 2 weeks later...
Then make an initrd and add to lilo

what do you mean by "make an initrd"?i presume you mean change the symlink in /boot to point at the 2.6 initrd.img file?

On my 9.1 Mandrake system there are also kernel.h , System.map and vmlinuz symlinks.

Do I need to repoint these at 2.6 equivalents?

config -> config-2.4.21-0.13mdk

initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img

kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk

System.map -> System.map-2.4.21-0.13mdk

vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

tried compiling according to ipitus' guidelines, but my box didnt even boot into lilo.

my lilo config was ok. thankfully, i had a copy of mandrakemove and i was able to revert back to 2.4. handy CD that MandrakeMove - well recommended.

anyone else managed to compile the 2.6 kernel on Mandrake 9.1?

i just accepted the defaults when that kernel menuconfig thing popped up -maybe i missed something there?

I'm on an old comp and would like to try this too...but I know nothing about linux really...so I too am wondering what this 'Then make an initrd and add to lilo' thing means... :-P

Don't ya just hate newbies who want to know everything immediatly? :-P

hey- dont worry. i've got 5 years linux experience,and even i get confused sometimes. its all part of the learning curve.

Linux doesnt hand it to you on a plate, and never will - part of the buzz is just finding things out and getting them working. And you come away from it with a bit more tech knowledge than before. If Linux was car,it would be hot-rod,dragster thing- massively powerful, but you can build it yourself and tweak to your requirements.

Windows is just a Russian Lada car. The Mac is an S-Class 4 door Mercedes - everything works, but you never quite know HOW it all works. I'm a dragster kind of person - i want to get under the bonnet and control my own computer totally -hence i choose Linux.