Mandrake 9.2, Internet Connection Sharing

inigo2

Hi all,

I've got a Mandrake 9.2 machine all up and running, and connected to the web via wireless usb (well, connected to the wireless router which is two floors up). I'm trying to share that connection with another machine in my room, a win2k machine. I have a second ethernet card in the Mandrake box, connected via ethernet to the "uplink" port on a linksys switch. Then I have ethernet from one of the other ports on the switch to the card in the win2k box. I set up sharing via the Mandrake wizard. On the win2k box, what I now have is the network rapidly bouncing (every second or two) between 10Mbps, 100Mbps, and disconnected.

Any ideas why it won't hold the connection?

Once I have that working, will the win2k machine be able to see / be seen (ie. via samba) by other machines on the wireless network?

Thanks much for your time!

Edited by inigo2

this may be completely off, and it even seems wrong to me, but if I remember correctly from when my dad was sharing internet through a linksys switching using ICS he had it connected to port 1, not to the uplink port.

but i could be completely wrong :-/ also, if you have it connected into the uplink make sure the win2k machine isn't connected to the port beside the uplink port.

another possibility is a bad port, have you tried hooking it into different ports on the switch?

inigo2 your right on the button with that one..

Tyme take the ethernet cable out of the uplink port and plug it into the port 1 - 4 that will solve your problem..

May i ask:

Are you asking the computer's to get there ip from the router or the mandrake box sharing internet..?

Do you have wireless computers on that ?

if so.. do what i suggested above. But before that.. connect to the router ( linksys ) and go to the config page and turn of dhcp. bye doing this it will allow pass through to work with your router / mandrake box. WHen it is configured this way the router box is acting like a wireless hub / hub. when dhcp is on the wireless base is handing out ip's that might be conflicting with the mandrake one prolly not but might be.. try it and see.. i had the same problems and mine are fixed from this simple fix..

J'

First, thanks for the suggestions... I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll try using different ports on the switch to see what happens there.

I don't think it's a conflicting-IP issue. The wireless network is 192.168.0.*. At least last night, the non-wireless card was 192.168.1.*. One wierd thing was that for the few seconds the win2k box would be connected, it was reporting an IP of something like 169.x.x.x.... (Something random like that...might not have been 169, can't quite remember.)

So, yeah, when I get home I'll try different ports and see what happens; I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

if you have any instant messanger client email me and ill add you to my list and we can talk and i can help you wiht any of your problems..

Jaosn