IBM ThinkPad 600E

Finally got a laptop (IBM ThinkPad 600E) which is sorta old but better than nothin.. :D and I'm pretty pleased with the smooth Mdk 9.1 install. HOWEVER.. B) there are two unresolved issues... I can't seem to get the sound or the internal modem working... The win98 install didn't see the modem either but did manage to get the sound (after I located a driver for it)

Oh well... If anyone has solved either one of these or has any ideas where to look I'd be forever greatful :headbang:

note: yes, i know what a problem internal modems are with linux.. but MAYBE someone might have solved this one..

:P

TIA

Let me see here...

...I installed Vector Linux on my wife's TP 600, and it *was* a tad tricky to get the sound working. Let me grab hers, and see what it says...

Okay. From the end of her /etc/modules.conf file...

<snip>

alias sound-slot-0 sb

options sound dmabuf=1

options opl3 io=0x388

options sb io=0-x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=0 mpu_io=0x388

<snip>

Okay... so what I actually DID to configure the sound was install and run sndconfig (the old-school Red Hat tool). By trial and error, I selected the SB driver that had AWE64 support.

Why?

Because it WORKED.

I know it's not exactly the correct driver that IBM had in mind... but hey, I have great sound. No problem.

Sorry, but I can't help you on the modem. Haven't bothered to set that one up yet.

What the heck.... I don't know whats goin on here... tried everything... Maybe this info can generate some solution..

When I log into KDE, I get error msg /dev/dsp can't be found.. and sure enough it isn't anywhere... On my desktop mdk puts it in /dev/sound/ but it's nowhere on the TP 600E so I reisntalled making sure I did all the MultiMedia stuff and still have the same identical problem..

Did get a PM that I'll try but to be honest.. i don't have much hope.. :-(

You only get the device in /dev if the module is loaded.

lsmod | grep sb

if this gives no result, the sb module is not loaded. No hope is lost, just add those lines that pastored gave above to your /etc/modules.conf and do a

modprobe sb

Then try again. At least the devices should show.

BTW the irq and other values depend on the settings in the bios, you may want to check there. Whilst you're there, make sure it is set as

plugnplay os = NO

got it... thanks... I didn't install all the development stuff cause it really isn't a system that will get used very much and the HD is so small and it is shared with win98... Guess I'll have to temp. install enough stuff to get it compiled then I can remove it again...

BTW.. sound is STILL not working.. really p...ing me off..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

:evilmod:

[writing on my thinkpad 600 running Gnome 2.4 on MDK 10]

Sound works great for me using alsa 1.02 -> open a console as root, use alsaconf, check for non-pnp devices: the chipset should be cs4236 - in case the sound would be found but not configured fully, edit /etc/modules.conf and check if interrupts, dma, port addresses etc. are correct: you should get the correct values from the (dos....) utility PS2.exe from IBM.

Of course you should first of all check in the BIOS if sound is enabled! :)

ciao

M.