Just installed Fedora, good or bad?

A couple of weeks ago I got my hands on an old laptop (366Mhz,128RAM) with NT workstation on. I thought I'd install Mandrake on it and use it as a surfing-station with my WLAN.

Well, it booted on the Mandrake disk 1, but after a while it suddenly says that my CDROM isn't bootable. I know this isn't true because I tried Knoppix on it first... I tried MandrakeMove, same result, CDROM not bootable.

So I gave up the idea for a while, then I decided to try Fedora. Downloaded, burned CD's and booted. Those worked fine, and I've now been using Fedora for two weeks with my WLAN(AmbiCom WLAN card) B) . I still miss some Mandrake features, but it runs fine.

Anyone know why I couldn't install Mandrake? And do you think Mandrake would run better or worse on my setup?

did you check you md5sums of the Disk1?

Høh?

I used the same disk's when installing Mandrake 9.2 on my desktop and on VMware at work.

Are you saying SuSE is better than Fedora on a low spec laptop? I only have a WLAN-card on it, so I suspect the ftp-install will be difficult?

Sometimes Disk 1 burns bad. If you have used it before and it worked then Im not sure.

Looking at your computer specs again SUSE many be a bit much. Wont hurt to try though. The ftp install is not hard, jusy know your NIC module. Of course a must is a broad band connection. Check the downloads section above also..... :cheesy:

or Try

PCLinuxOS

its beta but it still rocks.

Well, Fedora works really well on it, so if I can't find out what stops the Mandrake install, I'll keep the Fedora.

Thanks for the tips though!

Just out of curiosity: I have a 1,5Mbit line, approximately how long will a SuSE install take?

Not to sure. I started the install and went to bed the first time. Figure about 1.5gb download. (give or take) depens I guess on what you want to install.

By the way did you check out the "Downloads" button above? (top of Forum) then click "Misc" folder...

:D

Edited by ac_dispatcher