menu

Drew

not quite sure where to post this!

Im having a problem, I just installed mandrake 9.2 a couple hours ago, ive never used linux as a desktop before, but i am experienced with linux.

anyway, my problem is that, after I install packages from the mandrake package installer.. a whole bunch of thigns just disappear from my menu??? (whole folders, single apps, etc..) :unsure:

I have to open drakemenu and refresh it, then save. that fixs the problem.. but im pretty sure thats not supposed to happen :P

any help is appreciated

thanks,

Drew

Edited by Drew

Yes, that is a known screwball problem! I don't recall which update fixes this exactly, but with around 300 MB of updates, you should no doubt install them all. B)

Open a commandline terminal if you still can. If not hit the ctrl-alt-f1 key. This will take you to a commandline and you should loggin as root.

type in the command:

update-menus -v

This should fix the problem. After the menues are updated type in the command(hit enter if it stops for over a minute. It stalled on me also.

logout

this will get you out of root on that screen. ( It's never good to leave a running login unused)

hit the ctrl-alt-f7 this should take you back to the GUI you were in.

Post back any trouble or questions.