NO SOUND!!!

Guest pja

HI!

I am trying to make the jump from Windows to Linux. I have just installed Mandrake 9.2 after trying 9.1, Red Hat, Fedora, Knoppix etc. While Mandrake 9.2 is a very good environment and most things on my PC seem to work well; both versions of Mandrake seem incapable of providing sound on my system.

I have an A-Open motherboard (AX34 Pro II) with a Via VT82C686 sound chip. I have tryied to play with various settings in both the Mandrake Control Centre and the KDE Control Centre with no effect.

Can anyone please suggest a resolution?

Regards,

Peter

:help:

Hi!

Thanks for taking an interest.

I have tried both the snd... and the via82... drivers without any luck. I booted again with a Knoppix disk last night and it works fine with the same drivers. The only difference is that when you look at the Sound configuration in the KDE Control Centre, Knoppix has a MIDI entry (MPU-401 (UART) MIDI External Midi Port). I don know how to get that in Mandrake (or any other Linux for that matter).

Regards,

Peter

:juggle:

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I am using Mandrake 10.0 FR. I struggled to get a VIA82XX sound card working. It took me more than 2 weeks.

I did the following:

1) As root

chmod 666 /dev/dsp

2) I added the aRts Control to the panel. Then I executed the K Sound System (configuration -> Kde -> Sound -> Sound System) and pressed the Test Sound button. Then I could check that there was sound going on. I found a conflict with mic.

3) I went to Kmix, checked the Advanced check box and disabled IEC958 Cap.... And the sound came out.

I hope it works. :oops: