Upgrading XFree

Guest BerndS

Hi,

I've read that XFree86 version 4 will work better with my graphics card. Currently, I am running XFree86 version 3.

So, I made an rpm of XFree86 4.2.1-3mdk, but XFdrake will not recognize the upgrade and still addresses V.3.

Which file/script needs to be changed and how, to make the X setup applications, like XFdrake find the updated X server? Is there another configutation tool on ML, e.g. XFSetup or so? How risky is it to edit the XFConfig file by hand for a non-expert like myself?

Thanks

Bernd

When I upgraded my ML8.1's XFree86(forgot what version), from the console I uninstalled all XFree86 pkgs, I think with

rpm -e XFree86*

or

urpme XFree86*

Then cd (changed directory) to where I downloaded all the new XFree86 pkgs and

rpm -ivh XFree86*

I think if you do

urpmi XFree86

it'll say everything already installed, which will prevent you from upgrading the default on the CD's. But if you can uninstall them first then

urpmi XFree86

you'll get a list of available pkgs. Then choose one of the version you want and urpmi will verify it's ok to install the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SunnyJim

I know it is after the fact now but there might be another way to handle this issue. If you go into DrakConf and reselect your video card in DrakX, it should then ask you whether you want to use XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.2.1. If you select the other version it will grab the necessary RPMs and install them.

Like I said, it's after the fact but I have been doing this very thing in order to test drivers for the two different versions of XFree86 on my old tablet PC.