I deleted my trash can

VeeDubb

I know this may sound incredibly stupid, but i deleted my trash can.

I did it on accident and now it's gone. I created a new directory in home and in home/Desktop and in each I put a copyof the '.directory' file I got froma friend that came from his trash can.

Now it looks like a trash can, but it doesn't work like one. I right click and item and "send to Trash" and it just dissapears into no-man's land.

help?

This may help you....from DOlson.

I know some people have laughed at this, but it really does bother me alot when my Trash icon doesn't indicate properly whether or not my trash is empty or has something in it. I know that I am constantly emptying the trash, and if it never tells me that it is empty, then I keep doind it unnecessarily. I know most people don't use it, but I do. And this tutorial is for those of you who are like me.

Log out of KDE.

If you use startx to get into KDE, then you are in good shape. You may ship this next step.

If you use a graphical login, press CTRL+ALT+F2 to go to a virtual terminal.

Now, type cd followed by Enter. This will return you to your home directory, just in case you weren't already in there.

Now, change to your Desktop directory by typing cd Desktop/ followed by pressing Enter.

Now you will delete the Trash folder. Type rm -rf Trash/ and press Enter to do this.

Now you may leave this virtual terminal by typing exit followed by Enter.

Press CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to your graphical login, or, if you use the startx command, then return the the virtual terminal you login as, which would usually be CTRL+ALT+F1, or whichever one you prefer.

Now log back into KDE using your preffered method, and your Trash icon will be recreated and fully functional!

© D. Olson 2001-2003 -- Originally found on The Mandrake eXPerience