Resolv.conf problem Switching bw LAN and dialup

saurya_s

Hi guys

I have got linux on my laptop. I connect to LAN at work and when I bring it to home I use dialup.

Now, when I come to home, the dial up doesn't wok unless I remove the resolv.conf while which had DNS of my LAN. Actually, it connects to the ISP but webpages etc are not dispalyed unless i remove it.

Though it works perfectly at work ,probably because of DHCP.

Can I make it to work with dialup without removing resolv.conf of lan. I did try to put the DNS entry of dialup and LAN in resolv.conf but the problem still exists. I would like something as easy as Mac or Win whereby it detects LAN automatically, while it does the dialup when at home without playing with resolv.conf.

Thanks

SS

That's what I would do. Prepare two copies of resolv.conf, one with LAN settings, another with settings for your dial-up connection. Call them /etc/resolv.conf.lan and /etc/resolv.conf.dialup, or whatever. Then modify scripts that activate network interfaces (ppp0 for dialup and eth0 when connected to LAN) to make them override /etc/resolv.conf by copying appropriate /etc/resolv.conf.xxx to /etc/resolv.conf

I have the same issues as you, I just don't have different locations. I usually access the internet by way of a dialup proxy on a WinXP box that everyone shares. However, as I am having troubles accessing the ftp gateway on the proxy (see my other recent post), I try to use direct dialup from my MDK 9.2 box for the ftp access. This is not really that easy. I have to adjust many settings with respect to the proxy to even have a chance at accessing the ftp. I have never tried modifying the /etc/resolv.conf file as all the DNS addresses for the ISP are dynamic.