Switching between computers

Urza9814

Are you trying a harddrive install or did you burn the DL version to disk?

Just because something works on one MB doesn't meen it will work an another.

And unless you have a MB older than 4 years you should have sometype of plug and play option in the bios.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And unless you have a MB older than 4 years you should have sometype of plug and play option in the bios." ...this comp is 4 years old...like...98...99 :-P

my other is just over a year old though...and it doesn't have it either :-S

as for what kind of install I'm trying...can't do harddrive, because it's not big enough for all the files...tried CD...same prob...tried hard drive on my other comp...same prob...as with cd...the only thing I was able to do was a network install from the DL FTP sites...

uh...mine's about 7 and a half gigs :-S I went to the 'download' site...click 'mandrake 9.2', and went to the first USA/Pennsylvania mirror...what'd I do wrong?????????? :-P

[edit]

ohhhhh! I wassupposed to get theISO images, right? :-P

Edited by Urza9814

the connection to the server keeps getting reset every timeI try to DL!!! WTF?!?!?!?

[edit]

it crashed...and Itried again...and it's working...it says an hour left...but I gotta got to sleep...within the next half hour...takes me a loooong time to fall asleep...so yea, I'll try it before school tommrow, hope it works...

Edited by Urza9814

Just do one cd.. and get the routine down..

Download the ISO

Do a checksum on the ISO

Burn the ISO

If you don't know what checksum's are, suggest you read some of the faqs. You are looking for a little program called md5sum. It will validate for youi that your download is 100% correct byte for byte.

jesus! when you said it shouldn't be over 700Mb, I thought you meant TOTAL! :-P

BTW - what do I do with these after I burn 'em? if I have to install them using a boot floppy...then I just wasted another day...

Edited by Urza9814

aight, I think I've almost got it here...I took both hard drives from this comp, and put them in the comp it'll install on...I got to the update part and the install failed...so the next time I clicked no for updates...it finished...but I still can't boot linux...though it's showing the boot menu thing...here's what I've done and what errors I've got:

booted into:

linux: loading bar got to about 9/10 and froze...screen got a little messed up (static line running through it at the loading bar...I took a pic if for some reason you need it...but I doubt that's important)...I then rebooted into:

Linux-nonfb:

modprobe: insmod usb-ohc [i think...can't quite read it] failed.

modprobe: insmod ehci-hcd failed.

/dev/hdb6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

(i.e., without -a or -p options)

Failed to check filesystem. Do you want to repair the errors? [i said yes]

everying seemed ok...

Linux: boot failed

booted into failsafe, ran that fsck:

several errors saying: illegal block #___ in inode ___. CLEARED

I then ran fsck again:

illegal block #___ in inode ___. CLEARED

Free blocks count wrong for group #___ (____, counted=____) Fix(y)?

[i said yes]

linux still wouldn't boot; ran it AGAIN:

no errors

and again

no errors

linux-nonfb:

/dev/hdb6 had several errors; all said FIXED

it auto rebooted

linux: failed to boot

anyways, I can get into terminal with the failsafe...I can log in...so, unless you have a better idea...is there a way to reinstall linux from terminal???

Edited by Urza9814

I can't! I can't use any boot floppys...they don't work at all...so unless there's a way to do that from windows or terminal, I can't...If I get time I'll try the other comp again...but my brother's on that a lot...last time I needed to use it it took me 3 days :-S...mebbe tommrow morning if I don't sleep through my alarm though...