After installing mdk 9.0 instead of mdk 8.1 my monitor keeps

_Qwerty_

Hello!

I have just installed mdk 9.0, before that i used mdk 8.1 for a year and it worked fine then, but now my monitor keeps fllickering?

I have a ATI Rage LT PRO agp card and the monitor Compaq MV700

I have tried to change to other graphics cards with similar names in mdk control center, and also tried other monitors, and to change refresh rate but so far nothing has helped

Any tips or help appreciated

best regards!

Did you try to perform an upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 or install 9.0 fresh? Just curious....

I'm assuming you tried a standard Plug & Play monitor? Be carefull of manually changing your monitor's refresh rate as this can cause severe damage to your monitor.

The problem is most likely the monitor and not card.

I did a full install over my old mandrake 8.1 and yes i tried to choose a plug and play monitor inside mdk control center.

And i dont think its the monitor, cause i have two computers and use the same monitor and keyboard and a kvm switch to choose which computer to control, and the other computer is a windows box, and with that computer there are no problems with the monitor, also it worked fine with mandrake 8.1 for over a year until now when i installed mdk 9.0

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I have just reinstalled mdk 9.0, and this time also i got the flickering on the monitor, and i have choosed my exact monitor an Compaq MV700 and this time it dident help to change the /etc/X11/XF86Config and add

Option "composite_sync" "off"

so i guess i have to try that XFdrake --expert after all :)

this time it dident help to change the /etc/X11/XF86Config and add

If u are using XFree86-4.x, u should change /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, not /etc/X11/XF86Config.

Also, run xvidtune and check ur vertical refresh rate. It should be as high as possible (>= 75 Hz). U can use xvidtune to change the refresh rate on the fly and find out the max vertical refresh rate for ur system. Once u get that, u can generate a modeline and put that in ur /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Alternatively, if u have a text login, when u start X, use this command startx -- -bestRefresh.