Ethernet won't work with Soyo P4X400 and 9.2

DuplexEmotions

Hi, I'm a complete and utter novice at linux, and last night I built myself a linux box and installed Mandrake 9.2 on it. Everything seems to check out and work fine, except the ethernet on the motherboard. I tried installing a second card, but that didn't work either. The board is a Soyo P4X400 Dragon Lite (onboard is Realtek8139). I really have no clue how to fix it, nothing I try seems to work and it's getting really frustrating. Mandrake detects the card, it just can't get it to connect. Thanks for any help, and please remember that, being a fresh user with my first real install, I have only the most rudimentary knowledge of command line, from my old DOS days.

Thanks,

John

When you installed the second card make sure you had the on board one turned off in the bios.

When you go though the MCC and try to connect what does it say? If your using a GUI.

Nnormally you don't have to do much for an ethernet card exept tell it to use either a static ip address or DHCP. Sometimes things get more complex but they can always be figured out.

I had been trying to install various distros under this board before I selected Mandrake, and the card worked with them. I think it might be a BIOS setting, since I cleared the BIOS before installing Mandrake, but I can't find one that'd take care of it. I've also tried using Fedora instead of Mandrake, but the same error occurs.

Make sure everything plug and play it turned off also.

Since your running though a router make sure your setting up as a lan and not a cable connection.

Make sure the router assigns your ip sub address number. Sometimes people turn that off in the router.