fonts in 9.2 look terrible

beesea

so i finally got around to installing 9.2 only to find that non-antialiased truetype fonts look horrible. i find that normal-sized fonts look better when they're not antialiased (and seem easier on my eyes), so i disable antialiasing for fonts sizes between 8 and 14 in /etc/fonts/local.conf. fonts outside this range are antialiased and look just fine.

after playing around with it for a day or so, here's some of the things i've done so far:

• remade fonts.scale
  • remade fonts.dir
  • re-ran fc-cache
  • restarted xfs
  • logged out and back in
  • rebooted (i know this shouldn't make a difference, but sometimes you just gotta try :))

anyone else been having these problems or do most of you antialias your fonts of all sizes? i've also been thinking that this might be an issue with the freetype shipped with 9.2. might that be it? anyone have any other ideas?

My biggest complaint about fonts is -fonts!

The windex fonts look beautiful in Mandrake! But what if I don't have a windex partition from which to take the fonts? Maybe if you put the windex fonts on a cd and direct mcc to look there to add the fonts, it would work. But why should I get ms fonts at all??

i forgot to mention that i tried installing both manually and with fontdrake. getting fonts installed isn't the problem though, its the way they look once they're installed. also, this isn't a problem with just ms fonts, all truetype fonts look awful. so the bitstream vera fonts just as bad.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I tweaked a little in mcc, but after I loaded the fonts from the windex partition, my stuff looks good. I use kde. Which window manager are you using?

I had a similar problem. I read somewhere that monitors expect the display resolution 96x96 dpi, and if it is not 96x96 (it was 95x89 in my case), then fonts get ugly. To check your setting, run xdpyinfo from the command line while in X (I think, that's correct spelling, can't check it now).

The fix is simple, you need to add a DisplaySize setting to the Monitor section of your XF86Config-4 file . Here is how it looks in my XF86Config:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "Sony CPD-200GS"
   VendorName "Sony"
   ModelName  "Unknown"
   DisplaySize 304 228

You will have to play with the numbers a little until you get a perfect 96x96 dpi setting.

Cheers

I have also experienced this phenomena many times before... On my main system (Mdk 9.2) the fonts are beautiful without any tweaking.

However, on my Laptop which also worked perfectly with Mdk 9.2 (and with PcLinuxOS Preview 4), I am trying out the Cooker and now I get fuzzy fonts everywhere... I have no idea why this happens...

/Kenneth

Guest kuchwas

Check the freetype fonts. Right now the mdk libfreetyp6 is butt uggggly! The one from plf is ok. Other times with font problems, gettng the freetype forts from plf seems better. <shrug>

Check the freetype fonts.  Right now the mdk libfreetyp6 is butt uggggly!  The one from plf is ok.  Other times with font problems, gettng the freetype forts from plf seems better.  <shrug>

the rpms from plf fixed everything, thanks. there weren't any 9.2 rpms, but the 9.1 ones seem to work ok. as i mentioned in my first post i suspected that this may have been a freetype issue all along, but i had forgotten about the whole disabled bytecode interpreter business. out of curiosity i went and i got the freetype 2.1.4 (the version that ships with 9.2) source rpm and poked around the spec file. in order to enable the bytecode interpreter (fyi, this is the difference between the plf and mdk rpms, and makes my fonts look much, much better), you only have to change the first line in the spec file

%define build_plf 0

to:

%define build_plf 1

this allows me to use the newer freetype without any problems.

Guest kuchwas

There are 9.2 ones, cause I'm using them in this cooker box.

Most people do not look at the spec file, let alone the source rpm. It is not a real secret, but most changes for plf is just one or two lines in the spec file. B)

Glad you got it working.