skype video-get it working automatically [solved]

Kieth

In console, I can start skype with the LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype command, and the video works fine. How can I get it to start with that command automatically when the computer starts? I've tinkered around with it, adding it to some files, but no luck.

Thanks,

Kieth

Edited by Kieth

Easiest way is to make another script, something like this:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Loads skype with v4l1compat.so

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

save it as /usr/bin/myskype or whatever you want to call the script, then do:

chmod +x /usr/bin/myskype

and then make new shortcut/icon pointing to /usr/bin/myskype. If I find another method from the icons without the script, I'll let you know. I'm sure I did this once myself without the script, but can't remember how exactly.

:D Thanks! Got it working. There is one oddity, though. No big deal really. When we turn on the computer, the skype window comes on. That's the skype I don't want. We close it out, then click on the icon I created on the desktop to start the skype we do want. Is there anyway to keep that first window from appearing? If not, it's really no big deal. I'm just happy that we can use the video! :thumbs:

Thanks again,

Kieth

You probably have it starting automatically somewhere, so you'll need to find out where you put this or perhaps in Skype preferences there's something about starting automatically when you start your computer (unless I'm getting confused with Windows) :)

But probably you have it somewhere under KDE/Gnome for auto starting if there is no option within Skype itself.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.