Havy Metal

SoulSe

I bought Heavy Metal F.A.K.K 2 back in my windoze days, but I would like to play in under Linux. I know that there is a Linux version available, but surely there must be a way of getting the other version to work?

I know it runs on the quake 3 engine, so I am going to experiment with the quake 3 binaries, would I be wasting my time?

I do not want to play it (or anything) under winex, I don't think people realize the damage they are doing to the future of Linux gaming by supporting winex...

You'd be wasting your time by experimenting with the Quake 3 binaries. All Quake 3 based games generally modify the code heavily so that it will not run without the modified binaries.

The only way to run Heavy Metal FAKK 2 for Windoze under Linux would be to use Wine or WineX. Other than that, try to find a copy of the Linux version in a bargain bin.

I do not want to play it (or anything) under winex, I don't think people realize the damage they are doing to the future of Linux gaming by supporting winex...

I totally agree with that.

However, I don't think people realize the damage they are doing to the future of Linux gaming by not supporting the Linux companies (ie: TuxGames, LGP, etc). If you buy native games, then they will count as a Linux sale. Sales are all that matter...

If I were you, I'd sell the Windows version and get the Linux version. I wanted to play Heretic II, so I got the Linux version. I want to play Soldier of Fortune, so I'm gonna order the Linux version. I will play Neverwinter Nights, so I'm waiting for the Linux client.

That said, some people have reported success with certain games using the data from the Windows CDs with the Loki demos, so if you want to go that route, which is still wrong in my opinion, then you can try it, if such a demo exists.

Yeah, the problem with linux sales being reflected is that the two most popular Linux games (Quake3 and Unreal Tournament) are not sold as _Linux_ games, but as Windows games with the option of being played via downloadable binaries. ID software (for example) has no idea as to how many people are playing Quake on windows and how many are playing on Linux.

The problem with South Africa (where I live) is that nobody is stocking native Linux games, I have to order on the Internet and pay in dollars (ouch!) to get them.

I would like to make a suggestion for this forum: Let us build a resource listing all available native Linux games (not the small stuff, only games like Quake, UT, etc.) for newbies to access. People's eyes need to be opened to the possibilities available under Linux and stores need to see that it would be worhtwhile to stock Linux products...