Linux and the Apple i-pod

Guest bpitsenb

Guest bpitsenb

I am interested in investing in an mp3 player. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer music to an i-pod (preferably the windows compatable version) through a linux box. On a side note, are there any PCI usb 2.0/Firewire cards that are supported by mandrake. Thanks,

-Blaine

Edited by bpitsenb

Guest kuchwas

Name: gtkpod

Version: 0.70-1mdk

Summary: GTK interface to iPod.

Description: gtkpod is a platform independent GUI for Apple's iPod using GTK2. It allows you to upload songs and playlists to your iPod. It supports ID3 tag editing, multiple charsets for ID3 tags, detects duplicate songs, allows offline modification of the database with later synchronisation, and more.

gtkpod allows you to

* Read your existing iTunesDB (i.e. import the existing contents of your iPod).

* Add mp3 files to the iPod. You can choose the charset the ID3 tags are encoded in from within gtkpod. The default is the charset currently used by your locale setting.

* When adding songs, gtkpod detects duplicates (opt).

* Remove songs from the iPod.

* Create and modify playlists.

* Modify ID3 tags -- changes are also updated in the original file (opt)

* Write the updated iTunesDB and added songs to your iPod.

* Work offline and synchronize your new playlists / songs with the iPod at a later time.

Guest bpitsenb

Thanks for the quick response. The only question that remains is does anyone know of any Firewire/usb2.0 cards that have drivers for mdk? I know nothing about usb 2.0. Will the ipod work (even if it is slow) with the older usb ports?

-Blaine

Guest kuchwas

USB is 1.1 or 2.0. 2.0 devices work on 1.1 just at a slower speed. USB is supported by Linux, and you don't really need drivers; hotplug handles all the removable devices, like the iPod, digital cameras, scanners, card readers, Palm organizers, etc.

I know FireWire is supported, but I have no direct experience with it.