9.2 install with LG CD-ROM and no firmware

luckyzivi

I would like to install Mandrake 9.2 in a box with an evil LG CD-ROM drive (GCR 8523B) where I can not update the firmware.

* Firmware update is not possible since LG update should have the drive as secondary master. It is primary slave and I can't change because I can't open the box where it's installed (due to warranty issues);

* Taking the box back to the assembler store is not possible, the box would be stopped for several days;

* This a one full disk partition NTFS WinXP box, this partition should be resized (only 20% disk usage);

* It must be download edition, my boss has a few spare WinXP licenses, and will not pay another SO license. In fact, everyone here wants Win, it's me against all, but that's MY work box.

This is a Java/J2EE/PostgreSQL/JBOSS/Jbuilder WinXP development box. I'd rather use Linux.

I have:

* Download Edition, 3 CDs;

* Broadband connection;

* The will to install linux in a company that is completely pro MS :D

Is there any way that I can install 9.2 in this box without: damage to the drive, opening the box, returning to assembler and NTFS resizing data loss? I was reading something about using floppy disk with a newer kernel image to install, is that possible? How?

Well.. you probably can do hard disk installation. I don't know the exact method for that though since I never have to use that method. You can search this board for hard disk. Here is an example thread

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry38556

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4499

http://fhj52.tripod.com/linux/MDK_HD_INSTALL.html

Good luck.

Don't do a harddisk install, this can still 'kill' your lg drive. The problem is not dependent on from where you install, but which version.

The best thing to do is to get the 'upgraded' version of Mandrake 9.2, there seems to be a 4 disc version with the new kernel that works around the crappy LG drives.

You'll have to look around a bit (I'm sure others know) where to get that version.

I think there is or was a link to some updated ISO's that someone made in the Everything linux or Mandrake install section of the forums that contained the first hundred MB's of Bug fixes and an kernel that was safe. Another option would be to google around for a guide on makeing your own isos and then make some using safe kernels. It may also be possible to creat a boot disk that doesn't use packet writing which would be safe.