Mandrake 8.2 Install problem

Guest RonnieP

Guest RonnieP

Hi;

I'm trying to install 8.2 onto an older box I have (a P200 w/32MB and 6GB). I ran into problems in graphics mode (it did warn me!), so I switched to text mode and got much farther. During the install, however, I got an error that looked like it was coming from Perl (I didn't write that one down).

After the packages installed, and the root was created, I got the following error:

"Undefined subroutine &Xconfig::getinfoFromDDC called" in the Configure X section

Any ideas? - I'd rather run X, though from some of the previous posts, it looks like the box might be too slow for it.

Thanx for any help

-Ronnie

Guest jglen490

The processor speed is not a problem. Linux, and Linux apps, are more sensitive to memory than processor speed. While you can run X window in 32MB, it will be much happier with more (i.e., 64MB, or more). I run X on my P120 laptop using IceWM, mostly, but KDE 3.0.1 at times. When I went from 40MB to 72MB, the difference was truly astounding.