Problem with urpmi

Steve Scrimpshire

I am using 9.1 and I just reinstalled because I screwed up stuff royally before when I added some Cooker packages. Since my new install, I can't use urpmi to add http:// or ftp:// sources. I also can't use MDK Update because of this. Here is what I get:

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

added medium main

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

retrieving description file of "main"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 6 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "main"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "main"

unable to update medium "main"

Signal 6 of curl is:

Couldn't resolve host. The given remote host was not resolved.

I can use

urpmi.addmedia --wget main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

just fine.

# rpm -qa | grep curl

curl-7.10.3-1mdk

libcurl2-7.10.3-1mdk

libcurl2-devel-7.10.3-1mdk

I've tried uninstalling curl and reinstalling. Any ideas?

With any site. Tried uninstalling urpmi and reinstalling, too. I should've said that.

Edit: I removed curl completely and now urpmi works, of course, since the behavior is to use wget if curl is not available. But, going to MCC MDK Update still doesn't work.:

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

added medium update_source

retrieving description file of "update_source"...

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "update_source"...

...retrieving failed: 

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "update_source"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "update_source"

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

Hmmmm...after I added the source called 'update_source' manually to urpmi, MDK Update now works.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I can get it to give me a list of the updates available, but then:

There was an error downloading package[s]. Could not resolve host.

Update: I uninstalled libcurl2 which forced me to uninstall grpmi and rpmdrake. Then I uninstalled curl. Then I reinstalled all of those and now it works. Thanks.

Im guessing that the real problem was a bad install of MDK. This kind of thing happends too often.

You install MDK, everything appears to go well, no error messages, a success you are led to believe, and then something doesn't work right. This has happened a couple of times to me. Glad its OK for you now.