No USB support when installing 2007.1

jethro

Took a while but I downloaded and booted Toronto.

md5sum of burned CD matches.

Nothing good to report.

Boots to menu --- keyboard not available, 55 seconds never counts down, never does anything.

Boot with Shift key --- boots to a prompt that says:

copywright

boot:

tried boot: install --- doesn't do anything.

everything keeps saying not a kernel or something.

Tot Ziens

Thanks, rambutan. The test succeeded.

Toronto uses -partially- the patched isolinux binary of Mandriva, that's why.

It is this patched isolinux/syslinux (the CD bootloader) that causes the problem.

At the boot: prompt, in this case only typing: livecd would boot.

I better should have asked to test MCNLive Delft ...

Edited by chris:b

Guest PhilK

Linux seemed a good idea at the time. I've successfully installed Mandrake 10 by pressing F1 at the first prompt and adding noprobe noauto to the line. You can now install but I still have to add "nousb" to the resulting Grub dialogue to use the keyboard and mouse. I haven't yet figured how to make menuconfig work so that I can get proper USB support.

As for Mandriva's statement that it is a Dell BIOS bug. The keyboard works fine until Mandriva takes over. I installed Ubuntu and DSL without any problems. This is a software fault not a hardware one.

Incidentally I bought Mandrake 10.0 from PC World 2 weeks ago. The registration code on the Mandriva website was rejected as obsolete. Mandriva's response to my request for the USB keyboard issue "We no longer support this release. Take it up with PC World. They shouldn't have sold it!" This was produced in 2004. Imagine the uproar if Microsoft said they no longer supported xp!

MS promisses support for I believe 3 years until after their next release, this is what you expect when you buy an MS product, Mandriva promisses 1.5 years until after release of the product, this is what you pay for too. Mandrake 10 is ancient, pcworld shouldnt have sold a product which the manufacturer stopped supporting 2 years ago....Don't complain to the farmer that the shopkeeper sells milk 5 days out of date...

BTW did people try installing the latest or multimedia kernels (and source) because I believe there was a usb bug in the standard release kernel for spring (and 2007)

Edited by ffi

Hi chris:b

I'm in MCNLive Delft now.

It booted with the keyboard enabled. I could hit [F1] and [F2] to toggle back and forth to text or graphics.

I hope Mandriva will use the same boot tool.

ffi,

I tried 2007.1 Spring DVD and 2007 One CD. Which releases do you mean by "latest or multimedia kernels"? SuSE 10.1 and 10.2 both have the USB keyboard problem on LiveCDs. 10.1 uses 2.6.16.27-0.6 Their forums said the problem only started with 10.1, not 10.0 Is that when gfxboot started? I think it's gfxboot not the kernel, but if you want I'll test a different release, which one?

Also I'm in Wisconsin, a major US dairy state, so lets not drag bad milk into this. :)

PhilK,

Spend some time at http://distrowatch.com/ I have DSL at home and have downloaded and tried over 20 Linux CDs and DVDs, all free downloads. DistroWatch will show you the current release numbers and sources to buy the current release if you are using dial-up internet. The current lead is Ubuntu (also my favorite so far). Number 2 and growing faster is PCLinuxOS which is based on Mandriva. I tried PCLinuxOS twice and didn't like it. But now I'm trying Mandriva.

Love the forums!

try

urpmi kernel-latest kernel-source-stripped-latest

or

urpmi kernel-multimedia-desktop-latest kernel-multimedia-desktop-source-stripped-latest (not to sure about the correct name for this one :unsure: )

if you have your sources setup, for the latest kernel or a different flavour kernel

I wrote about the BIOS issue on the basis of feedback provided by a Club forum user, I'll update it now it seems to be related to gfxboot too. I'm thinking it's something in the BIOS that is triggered by gfxboot and can be fixed by a change in the BIOS, otherwise I don't see why the user in question would have had the problem fixed after a BIOS update.

Yes, support lifetime for mainline Mandriva Linux releases is 18 months, as explained on our support lifetimes page. Corporate products have a longer lifespan. It's not practical to support mainline releases for longer than 18 months given the frequency of releases, the pace of change in Linux applications, and the size of our security team. Remember that Windows is a far, far smaller product than Mandriva Linux. Windows is a kernel, a desktop, a shell and a browser, more or less; Mandriva Linux is a kernel, three officially supported desktops, dozens of shells, about five browsers, and a few thousand other applications.

Adam, I am not sure if it is the gfxboot patch. It is possible that it is the version 3.35 of syslinux.

What we did some weeks ago on mandrivaclub.nl, because we had this problem with MCNLive Toronto, was:

building a syslinux 3.36 rpm on MDV 2007.1, an unpatched from the Fedora 7 sources, installing it and using it to build a live cd.

And this solved the problem.

In cooker we still have the old 3.35 syslinux package.

Maybe blino can update the syslinux package. And if he is busy with it, maybe look at the syslinux vesamenu, which is very very nice. Simple and powerful, and without this ugly gfxboot patch.