via_drv.o : unknown symbol vgaHWGetIndex

theYinYeti

This is what I get when I try and start the X server using the via driver for my EPIA Cle266-based (Unichrome) onboard graphics chipset:

unknown symbol vgaHWGetIndex

This is just after I installed Thac and Zé's XOrg and XOrg-Mesa packages from his 2006.0 repository for my PC running Mandriva 2006.

How can I solve this? I currently have to run the "vesa" driver, which is not the fittest for playing DVDs...

Yves.

The issue is solved. I just had to downgrade from the xorg---.7.---rpm to the xorg---.6.---rpm. I now have the best 3D performance I ever had with this Unichrome chipset :)

Interesting side-note: the downgrade was impossible using urpmi. urpmi asked me to choose between 1)... and 2)... in loop, and the selection of packages to downgrade was not easy in the first place, because "older" packages don't appear in the GUI.

I used Smart instead, and then all was easy. I selected the packages, and Smart correctly detected them as downgrades, and installed them without complaining, along with the new dkms-drm module.

Yves.