mandrake password problems

Guest Archer_Forever

Guest Archer_Forever

im a n00b to mandrake and ive used SuSE b4 but after installing mandrake 10.1 it skipped the root password and user creation page and now it wont let me login :angry:

ive tried leaving the password field blank but it just shakes and spites me

plz help me

Assuming you get the Mandriva lilo boot menu, press Esc to get a command prompt and boot with linux single This should get you a prompt in single user mode. Type passwd and press Enter to get a prompt for the password. Give a root password and confirm it after you press Enter. That is your root password. Then, try for the desktop with init 5 If you get into the desktop, open a terminal and type userdrake to start a program for adding a user. I think that will work.

Guest Archer_Forever

yea ill give that a go, but i might just revert back to SuSe Prof 9.2 because i can and because i know my way around SuSe better. But doesnt mandrake have better multimedia capabilities than SuSe? :drum:

anyway no matter what i do thanks for the help :thanks:

honestly? Not really, once you have all the packages installed. Any Linux distro will handle multimedia pretty much the same so long as you have the same packages installed, and I know you can get most of the same stuff for SUSE and Mandriva so far as codecs and so forth go (I think the place to go for SUSE is called packman, right?) Well, we do have dmix-by-default in 2005, which is kinda snazzy for ALSA apps. Do SUSE do that too? Anyone know?