Installing using "hd.img" boot disk fails

JOHN316

I'm trying to install LM 9.2 using the hd.img boot disk, but it fails saying can't access kernal modules...missing a file..create a new boot floppy. :help:

Here is a recap of events:

Booted from A drive with hd.img

Choose hda1 for the partition where LM 9.2 is copied.

Entered the directory (ISO image file) containing LM 9.2 disribution.

mandrake/Mandrake92-cd1-inst.i586.iso

Program loaded into memory...

Choose English Language

Accepted License Agreement

Selected type of mouse

Received the following Error:

"An Error occurred

Can't access the kernel modules corresponding to your kernel (file /lib/modules.cz-2.4.22-21mdkBOOT is missing), this generally means your boot floppy is not in sync with the installatio medium (please create a newer boot floppy)."

I've tried various hd.img's from different (LM 9.2) mirror locations and each has errored at the same point with the same error. :wall:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IIRC, the kernel in 9.2 loaded as default is 22-10 and the update on the mirrors is 22-21. It appears that the hd.img has been corrected to load the corrected kernel without the LG problem. How you get around this problem I don't know since I have not seen a source for these .img files anywhere else but on the first cd. Someone who is a club member may have the correct file but I would be surprised if the hd.img had not also been fixed on their bit torrent version. Hopefully another poster will be able to solve this problem. Using a sector editor from Windows might allow the hd.img to be corrected if there is not another way to rebuild this img.

Counterspy

I assume you expanded the hd.img file with rawwrite or its equivalent. I did the same thing and then looked at the contents of the floppy with a sector editor. There was one occurrence of the string 22-10 and nothing referring to 22-21. I would suggest you scan the net for a sector editor and see if you get different results. I could not take the experiment any further since I discovered it wanted the iso in vfat format and my iso's are in NTFS, so I guess we found out one thing. If you do get 22-21, then it may be possible to suggest a workaround that really shouldn't take much time.

Counterspy

Then we have the answer. Just how that was allowed to happen is another Mandrakesoft screwup. Chang the 22-21 to 22-10 if you have not already done so and I think you should have no problems. BTW, where did you find the sector editor. I used the one I got with Norton Utilities on the second of the three floppy emergency disks they so kindly provided. I did have the Acronis Disk Editor but found it to be junk like most of the other Acronis programs.

Footnote: As an afterthought, It occurred to me that there may be a problem here with a clash of the kernel versions when you go to start the hd install. If this is the case, we can ask Anon to upload a copy of the correct hd.img files and perhaps all of the image files. I think I will do that anyway.

Counterspy

Edited by Counterspy

Then we have the answer. Just how that was allowed to happen is another Mandrakesoft screwup. Chang the 22-21 to 22-10 if you have not already done so and I think you should have no problems.

I used a sector editor to make the change and still the same error as I descibed in the first posting. I too think there deeper kernel issue and new images are needed. Thanks for requesting them.

I tried three sector editors. The first two were free to try, but the 'Save' button was disabled. But then I came across Hex Workshop from BreakPoint Software. I chose to use version 3.11 and it allowed the image to be Saved. You can download it at: Hex Workshop download

Thanks for your help.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

So I used my office computer CD-R to burn an ISO to get around trying to to do a HD install.

Booted up from CD1 and went through the paces. Patition the disk (will be a dual boot with existing W98), selected the packages to install and right after proceeding, I get an error saying it could find the packages. :wall:

Retried the install two more time and same thing both times at same point.

What's up v9.2, I haven't used LM since 7 or so and didn't have these problems. Running out of patience. Might go back to RH9 or try Debian.