Installing 9.2 to USB2 Harddisk

jermyandhisbass

I installed Mandrake 9.2 to my USB2 hard disk just fine on my Dell Inspiron 600m. When I boot to the USB device at bootup it is unable to find the installation and gives me a kernel panic. Lilo is installed on the USB disk, how do I get it to actually boot Mandrake? Be descriptive, I am still a relative N00B. Thanks in advance

You might be better off putting lilo on the computers hard drive and having it point to the USB device just like the other post said.

The real problem is USB drives need software to run and if your not loading it first then your not running the drive. Untill the drivers are fully placed into the BIOS then its going to take some jumping though hoops to get them running other wise.

Your in a catch-22 with a usb hard drive. During boot you need to load the drivers for the device before it can be mounted and the drivers for the device are on the usb drive. My solution was to put the root partition on the internal hard drive. That's where the driver modules are located. It can easily fit in 500MB. The rest of the partitions go on the usb drive.

That way the root partition can be loaded at boot, find the drivers for the usb hard drive and load the necessary drivers and mount the usb partitions. Your going to have to reinstall to do that.

I had lilo on my internal hard drive and that didn't work until I put the root partition on the hard drive.

Edited by pmpatrick

pause

(fd0) /module files root=/dev/fd0

module probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage && usb-storage usb-uhci

pause

It appears this is all I'm missing in the Grub statement. Is it possible to burn a CD in WIN XP that will allow me to pass these by way of Grub, and where do I get these modules? How would I burn the CD?

I copied the contents of the /modules directory from the Rescue CD where I am able to load the usb-storage module. I then placed a line 'module=/boot/modules.cz', and it loaded. How do I load the usb-storage module from this point?

GRUB entry

(hd0 is mapped to the sd0 USB drive)

kernel=(hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 (sda5 is where MDK 9.2 is installed)

pause

module=/boot/modules.cz

??????

pause

initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

OK. that makes things clearer. Your bios is capable of booting off a usb device; the bios finds grub on the external drive and loads it into ram; grub can read your /boot directory and loads vmlinuz and initrd. This must mean grub sees your root partition. So why copy the modules to the boot directory? They should all be in /lib/modules/<kernel_name> if I'm not mistaken. Have you tried loading from there? Also, at what point do you get the kernel panic? It always happened to me when root was to be mounted. Actually, I think the message was more like "no inet found" like it couldn't see the root partition.