cd catalog

acuss

What you guys use for indexing files on CDs?

I've tried some apps, but they dont satisfy me.

- MediaLibrary 0.4.2 (java) seems ok but it loads too long when the collection getting bigger (more than 15 sec with 113 cd indexed on pentium4 2.4+ 1 gb ram+mdk91)

- GWhere always crash (segmentation fault) when index the second cd, so i have to restart it.

I've also tried some webbased (with php) apps, and also disappointing, loads too long when open an indexed cd with thousands files on it.

thx

I use

$ cd /mnt/cdrom
$ find . -noleaf -xdev -type f -printf '%TY/%Tm/%Td-%TH:%TM:%TS %10s %p\n' | sort -k 3 >/local/share/CDs/cd##.find

where ## is the CD number (all my CDs are numbered from 01 to ...)

Of course, you can put this in a script. You can even make a script that goes to /mnt/cdrom, executes the above command, find the next number, put the listing in the appropriate file, and then display a window with the number so that you can write it on the CD :-) Here we go. It's not all that hard

#!/bin/bash
# parameter $1 is the CD location, usually /mnt/cdrom
# parameter $2 is the location for your listing files (/local/share/CDs in my example)

[ -d "$2" ] || exit

lastNumber=$(cd "$2" && /bin/ls cd??.find | sort | tail -n 1 | sed 's|^cd\(..\).*$|\1|')
nextNumber=$(( ${lastNumber:-0} + 1 ))
if [ $nextNumber -lt 10 ]; then nextNumber="0${nextNumber}"; fi

cd "$1"
$ find . -noleaf -xdev -type f -printf '%TY/%Tm/%Td-%TH:%TM:%TS %10s %p\n' | sort -k 3 >"${2}/cd${nextNumber}.find"

xmessage "$1 has been listed to file ${2}/cd${nextNumber}.find"

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti