upgraded OS, want raid back

Vdubjunkie

Hello all:

I just upgraded 9.0 to 9.1 on my server the other day. Knowing it may cause problems I went ahead and made a backup of my pristine /etc directory and copied the entire contents of my old install's /etc over it. I then put /etc/fstab back in place and adjusted it because I knew a couple of things would be different there. Pretty sweet I must say. Upon reboot my system had the right name, ip, etc...:cheesy:

However, I did not make backups of any /var items or anything else but /home really.:unsure: I do have two software raid configurations I would like to retain. I thought about doing a "mkraid -f /dev/md0" and md1, but I am afraid it may cause me to lose data. I already tried performing a "mkraid -u /dev/md0" and it reported nothing was able to be updated.:wall:

Basically what I am asking is if anybody knows definitively whether or not I risk losing data by using the -f switch to "make" my raid devices over. I nearly just did it knowing I may lose years worth of data:screwy:, but decided to ask the MDusers community first. :thumbs:

In case there are any other freaks out there like me willing to do things the hard way just so they know how it all works:

I did figure this out myself. :cheesy:

Synopsis:

Existing server has it's OS reloaded to a new drive thus eliminating the drive with the existing OS. In the process, retain all possible settings, etc. Retaining many files (if not all) from the /etc folder especially /etc/raidtab in this instance was vital.

Next, just to make sure years or data didn't get wiped due to some glitch or something, I unhooked all unnecessary drives while installing the new OS. (MD 9.1 in this case) After OS was up and running and all other important config files were in place for my normal operating purposes, I restored the /etc/raidtab file and rebooted not because it is the easy way out of starting everything up, but to ensure everything started properly from a "reboot" status.:deal:

Much to my dismay, it choked on bringing up /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 in /etc/fstab. :screwy: So, I went to a rescue boot from the install disks, commented out the appropriate lines in /etc/fstab referring to the /dev/mdX devices and rebooted. "rpm -qa | grep raid" told me that I didn't even have raid tools installed. "urpmi --media germanupdate raid" figured out for itself that the only appropriate rpm to install was raidtools-0.90-12mdk. After reading all over the place and banging my head against the wall,:wall: I decided against doing a "mkraid -f /dev/md0" for fear I might just lose data. Ultimately I decided to do a simple "raidstart -a" and I was nearly instantly back in business. Mount the devices (or more accurately mount the filesystems attached to the devices) and I have the remaining strongest majority of my important files available to me again!!

:juggle: