rpmdrake problems

cardassianscot

Not sure if this is the right forum or not but its about installing software. I installed 9.2 from a DVD from Linux Format which didn't claim to be a RC or Beta. However, I experienced the following problems when trying to install more software using rpmdrake. None of them is fatal but they are annoying and if anyone has a solution it would be useful.

1. I have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive and by default it tells me to insert my DVD into my CD-RW drive. OK, so I go to the sources option and change /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/cdrom2. Fine, however this produces problem 2 and if I installed from a /mnt/cdrom2 is it too much to ask for this to be configured automatically.

2. Now every time I install an rpm using rpmdrake I get a message about the signatures not being valid. I can still install anyway but this is annoying,

3. Everytime I install a program using this method my K menu looses just about all of its programs. I had to manually add a konsole icon to the kicker and then launch menudrake from a konsole (no right click option to launch a konsole or xterm annoyingly) and rebuild the root menu. I also permenanly lost the OpenOffice.org icons from the Kicker (of course I could readd the manually). This works but is very annoying when I have to repeat this every time I install an rpm, is there a way round it.

Unfortunately the whole problem is made worse by Mandrakes appalling default selection of software. No KPPP, Kate (even when installing development tools), xmms, epiphany (even though it supposed to be the default GNOME 2.4 browser), mozilla mail (even though mozilla browser and composer are installed).

Other than that however, it still a very nice looking distro, which I shall continue to use.