Extended Keyboard and KDE

davecs

I have a Microsoft Keyboard (sorry!) which has a key labelled "F-lock". When F-lock is ON, the Function keys operate normally, but when it is OFF, they are labelled as follows:

Help, Undo, Redo, New, Open, Close, Reply, Fwd, Send, Spell, Save, Print

I have backed up and edited the keymap file at /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/gb and allocated the following values to these keys:

Help, Undo, Redo, XF86New, XF86Open, XF86Close, XF86Reply, XF86MailForward, XF86Send, XF86Spell, XF86Save, Print

When I run KDE Control Centre, these codes are recognised under Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts > Global Shortcuts. However, most of these keys are not much use at Global level, I need to get them to work at Application Level. And that is the problem KDE does not recognise them when I try to allocate them as Application Shortcuts.

Is there a workaround for this problem, such as giving them values in the keytable which are recognised for Application Shortcuts...

There is another problem in that the Windows key is returned as F13 and cannot be used as a system shift key, which is what I want it to be...

Note that in Global Shortcuts I did successfully allocate "XF86Close" to "Kill Application" so why does it work in Global and not in Application?

DAVE