debian ISO download - md5 sums ?

null

I just finished downloading the first 2 CDs of "sid" from:

ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debi...unofficial/sid/

I don't see any md5 sums anywhere on this site. Usually when I download mandrake or redhat isos, there's a file with the correct md5 sums in the same ftp folder.

Can I blow-off doing the md5 check and instead just do the "linux mediacheck" at the boot prompt ?

thanks for any help

ok. Now something else. I noticed cybr had an old thread about Debian and jigdo.

Well, I tried out the jigdo thing, but I don't think I was doing it right. I d/l jigdo-lite and ran it in a DOS window. I don't think I did it right - I thought the path it wanted was the ftp site where the debian stuff was, so I entered that. After a few minutes of verbose stuff flying down my DOS window I realized it wasn't really doing anything... "0 files downloaded..." blah blah.

So I cancelled out of the DOS job (ctl-break) and got them the old fashioned slow way by ftp download.

Anyway, I got the first 2 CDs of "sid". So can I install from CD 1 or do I have to have woody installed already and then "upgrade" with my sid CD... :?

I'm still playing around with my Redhat 9 install from a couple of days ago - got it working Ok, fixed the nvidia driver thing, I'm learning... ! :)

That I don't know, since they are unofficial iso's, my guess would be it might install. (good answer huh?) :wink:

Keep in mind with Debian, if you have a fast connection there really isn't a need for more than the first iso. Getting everything else through apt. Also, if you want to start out with Sarge or Sid, you could go the net_install route, it's around 80MB Cd iso to download.

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Keep this in mind, it is UNOFFICIAL so it isn't guarnteed to work even if the md5sum's match. It still has the possiblity to break.

Have fun! 8)

Have fun!  

ok, I'm sure it will be.

Since I have a machine (PIII 1GHz, 256 RAM, 40GB) that I am not using, I am using it just to play around with installing different distros and just getting a feel for them. When I've played around with a few, I suppose I will choose one to learn properly.

A few days ago I installed RH 9 over my mandrake install. I've been getting RH the way I like it... hate to install debian on top of it... but guess that's how you learn stuff. For example, by fixing my nvidia 3D back on my old mandrake 8.1 install, and just last night I had to fix it on my new RH install - well, now I consider myself experienced in fixing nvidia drivers under linux.... :)

Have fun!  

ok, I'm sure it will be.

Since I have a machine (PIII 1GHz, 256 RAM, 40GB) that I am not using, I am using it just to play around with installing different distros and just getting a feel for them. When I've played around with a few, I suppose I will choose one to learn properly.

A few days ago I installed RH 9 over my mandrake install. I've been getting RH the way I like it... hate to install debian on top of it... but guess that's how you learn stuff. For example, by fixing my nvidia 3D back on my old mandrake 8.1 install, and just last night I had to fix it on my new RH install - well, now I consider myself experienced in fixing nvidia drivers under linux.... :)

That's how to do it. I probably wouldn't know anything if I didn't install 40 different distro's 400 times :roll:

I'm the MUB's distro ho! :wink:

I'm also a little :screwy: so that helps a bit!